Author's Preface

The Painted Altar is many things. One woman's search for identity and justice. A love story, a novel within a novel, a good old-fashioned whodunnit. As with any narrative which dwells partly in those dark years of the Second World War, it's also about man's inhumanity towards his fellow man.

An estimated 150,000 Italians were held captive in Great Britain during the latter part of the war, the vast majority assigned to the country's chronically undermanned agricultural sector. Tales of kindness abound. The handmade toys presented to neighbourhood children. The vegetables smuggled from field to the food-rationed local population.

Though camp 106a is fictional, and thus too the painted altar described, examples of religious art left behind by Italian POWs are numerous. The cover of this novel, for example, features an image of the Henllan camp near Llandysul in Wales. Of even greater note, meanwhile, is the site on Lamb Holm in the Orkney Islands where prisoners joined two Nissen huts together end-to-end and fashioned a concrete chapel facade (see image beneath). Such works were created with scarce resources during the men's limited free time. Both the aforementioned sites are considered of such artistic and historical importance as to have the official status of listed buildings.

I dedicate this novel to all those men who stooped in the fields shoulder to shoulder with British farmers and Land Girls. Who, despite the uncertain situation at home, shared with the local communities their good humour, songs and creativity.

I dedicate it also to my mother, who grew up during those troubled years amidst those self same shadowed fields.

If you like what you read, you might consider clicking the vote icon (the little star at the bottom left of each chapter). This is the Wattpad equivalent of a Facebook thumbs up, an encouraging little pat on the back and a huge motivating factor for an amateur writer like me to keep churning out those chapters in my limited free-time. Even more welcome would be your comments and constructive criticism. The possibility of being able to connect with my readers, and through your feedback hone my craft, is the principal reason that I - as I suspect most fellow writers - publish on Wattpad.

Enjoy...

Copyright Michael David Smith 2018

All rights reserved