Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Let's Get Started

"Daniel told me about it! I already got my parents to agree to it and I will be going to their next session in a few days!"

Mason was excited. Only a day has passed since he found out about the program and he was already celebrating his win.

Not only had he been able to get his parents to agree to pay for it within an hour of knowing about it, but he would be attending it within days.

His mind was filled with the possibilities of what he could learn and do, the thoughts only increasing his already intense amount of excitement.

The only thing that he could have possibly considered doing was to call up his two closest friends, Jasmine and Clark, to tell them about what was happening. He had them on a video call, none of them feeling up to travelling over to one of their houses, and was currently controlling the entire conversation.

Luckily neither of them truly minded. Clark actually enjoyed it when Mason or Jasmine just went on and on about their lives.

He was the type of man who found a lot of comfort with being around people. Especially after having to suddenly leave his hometown, family, and friends for a reason he tried not to remember.

Clark could go a long time simply listening instead of speaking with the simple thought of wanting to know as much about them as possible before anything happened. It was more of a negative approach to relationships, but it worked for Clark.

Jasmine's mind, on the other hand, was in a completely different place. Her brother had told her about this exact program the previous morning. Mark had been just as, excited if not more excited, than Clark and it was nice to know that the two of them would be doing it together.

While her first instinct was to tell Mason about this so he knew it was coming, she decided not to. Jasmine knew how much Mason was into her brother and this would be a very cute surprise for him.

With that thought, Jasmine kept her lips sealed, smiling only when appropriate and keeping the Cheshire cat grin off of her lips.

"It is so cool. Towards the end, we will even be able to intern a bit." Mason said at some point during his extended monologue. "Imagine how cool it would be if I got to interact with patients or help with a procedure?"

Clark and Jasmine nodded, struggling to appear genuinely happy. The idea of working as any sort of a medical professional did not appear to either of them and it was hard for them to look as excited when confused.

Mason did notice, however, that while Clark seemed to absorb the information as if he was hearing it for the first time, Jasmine looked as if she had heard it all before. Mason tried not to focus on it too much but it stuck in his brain like a bad song.

Why?

—————

The building loomed over Mason's lithe body. Although short compared to the towering skyscrapers that were common in downtown Toronto, it somehow still intimidated Mason.

Although he wanted to pin it on some logical, factual, completely understandable and provable reason, Mason knew that it was simply because the program would be held here.

He was nervous, alright! This was a big step for him —not really— and he wanted it to go well.

All the excitement he had been building up inside of him for the past several days seemed to have left his body in a single second. What was he left with? All the nerves that had been present on his first day of high school, or before his very first date.