Chap 28. • "24 Hours"

Aya Weathers

A week later

"Yo Chris, I think we should set something up with Tank. I got this idea for a new track that I think he would be dope on." I called out to Chris as I sat on my bed, scrolling through my Instagram feed. He had just gotten out of the shower since he spent the night.

"Chris?" I furrowed my brows, seeing that he gave me no response. I know I'm loud, so he must hear me. I got up and went to the bathroom, seeing Chris in nothing but a towel. I bit down at my lip, but shook off my thoughts when I noticed a small pink box in his hand.

"Okay, so you can't hear me now?" I crossed my arms as I leaned against the doorframe. He turned around to face me like I was requesting, still keeping the object in his hand. His jaw clenched but it took him a second before his eyes traveled up to mine.

"So when was you gone tell me about this?" He pointed his index finger to me first, then the small box in his hand. I couldn't make out exactly what he had, but I had a proposition of what it could've been.

"What is it?" I pushed myself off of the wall and took a step closer to him, trying to get a glance at the label on the pink box.

"Pregnancy tests. And the box is open." He tossed it onto the counter. I felt as if I were under fire, but I don't exactly have a reason to be yet.

"Okay, and?" I scrunched my eyebrows up together, looking for the fault in my possession.

"You took a pregnancy test without me? After all that shit you were talking about not wanting to take one, you did it anyway, but without me." He rested his elbow on the counter and exerted his weight onto that elbow.

"That could've been in there for a long ass time for all you know. Stop jumping to conclusions." I sneered with my eyes closed, shaking my head. I'm lying, but at the same time I'm not. I didn't say it was in there, I just said it could've been and he was jumping to conclusions, which he was.

"Stop the cap, Aya. I've been over here enough, and I've used this bathroom enough to know that you've never had pregnancy tests in your damn medicine cabinet." He squinted at me, finding the blunder in my fabrication. Well, it was worth the try.

"Okay, so I bought a few pregnancy tests. I didn't take them though, so stop doing too much." I prepared to leave the bathroom, but Chris shifted in front of the door to prevent my exit.

"You really finna try to play me like a goofy? You ain't take none, but the box ripped open? This lying shit ain't cute." He said with more than just a slight attitude.

"I said what I said. I didn't take it. Move." I tried to shuffle around him, but he clutched my forearm a little too tightly, heaving me back into his front view. I snatched away from him, taking a couple steps back.

"I don't believe you. And until you tell me what's going on, you ain't going nowhere." He shielded the door, closing it behind him. He twisted the metal lock, just to assure that I couldn't get past him.

"I guess I ain't going nowhere." I threw my hands up in defeat and walked over to the toilet, letting down the lid. I plopped myself down and threw one leg over the other, folding my hands together.

"Why do you always have to pick a fight with me?! If you would just be honest we wouldn't have this problem!" He raised his voice at me, a little too loudly for such minimum space between us.

"I ain't even lying to you, so now you look and sound stupid. And since when do I pick fights with you? You do stupid, annoying things that you know I don't like, and when I say something you always say I'm 'tripping'. I swear you've been doing this since we first met." I was struggling to keep my tranquility, but I was prone to be petulant with him. My anger issues have always been something that I needed to improve on, but my current partner isn't making that any better.