Chap. 29 • "Regret"

Christopher Brown

"Move... Move!" I pushed people to the side as I stormed into the hospital. I just got a call telling me that Aya was here and I needed to get down here. I'm confused as to why, because the last time I saw her, she told me she was going to work out with an old friend. So what the fuck happened?

"I need to know what room Aya Weathers is in." I pressed my hands against the receptionist desk, tapping my foot impatiently.

"I need to know your relationship to the patient, sir." She typed something into the keyboard without redirecting her eyes towards me.

"I'm her boyfriend, I just got a call telling me she was down here." I rolled my eyes as she gave me one wary look before giving me a visitor's pass.

"219, second floor." She pointed to the elevator that was across the hall. I wasted no time taking off towards the elevator, pressing the button a few times before it opened. To my advantage, it was empty.

I couldn't tell if the drop in my stomach was from the elevator or just because I was simply nervous. Once the dual doors slid open, I rushed out of the elevator, reading the door numbers as I went. Once I reached 219, I saw the door was closed and grumbled in frustration.

"She's still sleep." A husky voice said from below me. I looked down to see some dude with a a cut on his lip and a few scratches above his eye.

"And who the fuck are you?" I furrowed my brows, eyeing him.

"Kenneth, a friend of hers." He mumbled with his head rested on his fist.

"And why are you here?" I scrunched up my face slightly.

"She came to me so we could box. I used to be her personal trainer. I was playing around and called her fat and she got kinda mad. Actually real mad. She slapped me and I called her a crazy bitch, so she got even more mad. We started fighting and I pushed her and she fell on a dumbbell. Right on her stomach. I looked down and she was bleeding, then she just passed out." He explained the entire situation to me.

"If you were her damn friend you should know she don't like being called anything other than her name. I understand that she was beating the fuck outta you 'cause she hits hard as hell, but you could've simply just apologized for calling her out of her name. In fact, you ain't have to call her out of her name. She may hit hard, but damn nigga she's a female. At the end of the day, this whole thing could've been avoided if you just watched your mouth. Shit, I would've got mad if I was her and you called me a bitch too."

"I get it, I do. I feel terrible. I didn't know she was pregnant, I just thought she was getting a little chubby." He snatched the baseball cap off of his head and rubbed down his waves before throwing it back on.

"Pregnant? Nah, Aya wasn't pregnant. I thought she was too, but she swore up and down she wasn't." I brushed it off and stuck to what she constantly told me. If she was feeling pregnant, she would've taken the test like I asked. She said she knew her body, so I just left it alone.

"You sure? 'Cause when she hit her stomach, she started bleeding in her pants. Now I ain't no damn doctor, but don't that shit happen when girls have a miscarriage or some'n like that?" He scratched the back of his neck out of confusion.

"Maybe she just started her period or somethin'." I tried to think of any other alternative to losing my child. I'll be damned if this girl was pregnant and I just lost my child, I swear.

"Maybe."

"Family of Aya Weathers?" A nurse asked as she came out of the room they were holding her in. Kenneth popped up, causing me to slightly roll my eyes. Sit yo' happy go lucky ass down.