Chap. 35 • "Changes"

Aya Weathers

Over the period of five days. No missed calls, e-mails, messages, or voicemails. Exactly the way it should be.

The amount of nerve that he would have to have would have to be way greater than my newfound despise for him. The audacity he would have to have to even believe that I would have a single word to say to him would only pull him deeper into his black hole.

And to think that he thought I wouldn't find out.

I'm so over being humiliated by that yellow ass nigga, it's ridiculous. He embarrasses the fuck out of me at the basketball game, then come to find out he's still fucking the bitch he embarrassed me over. I've had it up to here with everything.

But you know what, none of this means anything. I can go back to how it was before, because clearly that's doing me more justice. In fact, I can come back stronger and better than ever. I don't need his validation, and I won't pretend to.

Broken or not, I'm still that bitch.

Now the problem is getting up and getting myself to be productive.

Right as I was starting to think of something to preoccupy myself with, my phone began to ring. I know it's not Chris, so let's see who finna drag me out the house today.

I turned over to see the Caller ID belonged to Karilyn. My face screwed up and I immediately thought about declining the call. Well, if she's calling me, there must be a logical reason. We haven't talked in weeks.

Hesitantly, I answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Aya, I'm surprised you even picked up." She sounded astonished to hear my voice. Hell, I'm surprised I even picked up.

"Uh huh. And you called because...?" I trailed off on my sentence, waiting for her to finish it.

"I said some things that were untrue and hurtful and I feel as if I owe you the biggest apology." She sighed heavily.

"Go on." I raised an eyebrow.

"I can't use my anger as an excuse because that was completely unfair to you. Instead of putting myself in your shoes, I was so worried about defending my family without realizing that you're my family too and I should be defending you as well."

I released my hitched breath, debating whether or not I wanted to be stubborn or not. I really need somebody right now, and I feel like although we were stuck in our circumstance, God wouldn't have sent her my way in a time like this if there was no reason to.

"Alright. But from now on, can we just leave them out of the picture? It'll save us a whole lot of conflict." I frowned slightly.

"Sounds like a plan. You busy today?"

I thought about lying because in all honesty, I don't want to hang out with her. I don't want her asking me a million and one questions about Chris or anything else. However, I do need to get out of the house.

"Nah, I'm not. What you got planned?" I rummaged through my drawers to find something to wear. I settled on a "Dead Prez" tee and basic ripped denims.

"I was thinking we have a self care day, get cute or whatever. Then later we can go out." She suggested.

"Alright. I gotta take a shower so." I told her as my finger hovered over the end call button.

"Mkay. By the way, I invited a friend of mine if that's okay with you. She was one of my patients, but we grew close. I felt as if she needed this day too."