Chap. 42 • "Hurricane"

Aya Weathers

The panic starts out as thin cellophane, something my fingers can pierce breathing holes in. In another minute the panic is a deluge of ice water surrounding every limb, creeping higher until it passes my mouth and nose. That's when the attack becomes absolute, shutting my body down as fast as punching a biochemical reset button.

There is a distance in my eyes as I take a few steps backwards, bumping into the kitchen counter like I wasn't expecting it. My head rolls with the impact, eyes glazed. My voice comes out thin and distant,

"What, but, no, it didn't, that's... not... right..." I'm breathing all wrong, beginning to gasp like there's not enough oxygen in the air.

I'm rushed outside into the clogged, humid air. I can't breathe. Everything is spinning and it feels as if the ground is melting under my feet. I collapse onto my hands and knees, my breathing shallow and quick.

I can hear Shayla saying something, but she sounds distant and muffled. My stomach flips as I think about Caine's words.

"Baby, I want to start a family. Your folks are rich as rich can be, and I'm sure they would support it. Even if it's just out of pity." Caine continued to pester me, fondling with the skin on my thigh.

"My family is barely a family. You know they're strict. My uncle wouldn't go for it." I told him while resting against his bare chest, staring at the reflection of light that beamed from his cocoa skin.

"Who cares what he thinks? You don't need him." He scoffed, but I only rolled my eyes.

"It's not just him I'm worried about. I'm not ready to have children, Teddy. I'm 16 years old, I don't have time to raise a child. We have an entire life ahead of us, why would we focus on children now?" I sat up and moved his hand off of my thigh, just to be sure that I had his full attention.

"I just really like the idea of you having my babies. I want to spend the rest of my life with you." He pulled me back into his lap, my heart warming slightly.

"I'm still young, Caine. We have all the time in the world for that. I'm not ready right now, and probably won't be for a few more years. I'm not even independent yet, still under the roof of another man." I shook my head and fiddled with the promise ring on my finger.

"I can get a higher paying job and we can save up enough to get a house—" He continued to look for outlets, but I shook my head.

"Caine. I'm not having kids right now and that's it." I prepared to stand up, but he grabbed me by the wrist.

"I thought you said you would do anything for me." He said in a somber tone, causing a chill to run up my spine.

"Realistically, Caine. Doing anything doesn't mean I'm jumping off a damn bridge, and it sure doesn't mean I'm getting pregnant at the age of 16 on purpose." I tried to pry his hand off of my wrist, but failed once he tightened his grip.

"If you loved me, you would do what I say."

I gag at the thought of his calloused hand tugging on my chin. My body is shaking uncontrollably. I feel Shayla's hands gently rest on my shoulders, but I shrug her off.

My hearing is the first to return, then my eyesight follows suit. I'm still shaking as I push back onto my knees. Shayla is quietly squatting next to me.

"I-I gotta..." I said in an airy tone, feeling around for my keys. My nervous system in shambles, I locate the metal and speed to my car.

"What— Aya!" Shay called after me, yanking me back by the shoulder. I shook my head rapidly, struggling to breathe the way a human should.