Chapter Four

Updated: 5-4-24

Daeus' POV

Three days ago my division had gotten a call that an unmarked, unclassified, and unrecognized ship was barrelling straight toward our planet, Cera. Our large green mass of a planet had three beautiful moons and a sun that provided us with beautiful light, yet when the large ship showed up on our radar, it gave way to panic. The moon ports were created for three reasons. 1) No species tries to take over our paradise. 2) No diseases can come from outside worlds. And 3) No invasive animals.

The out of date tech barrelling towards us registered as a Class 3 Hunter Ship. Hunter ships are weaponized ships meant only for capture and destroy. It possibly contained illegal creatures, drugs, and weapons. The species running it didn't even register in our current database. Three things were certain. It was a hostile ship, the controlling sentients had no contorl, and the screams that peirced our satellites weren't happy. Whatever was coming for us had hit a meteor and was now heading straight for open feilds. Feilds of perfectly healthy purple grass that was home to thousands of pixies and glitterbugs.

"Brace yourselves!" I yelled through the mic in our suits. All four of us felt the impact through the soles of our feet as the burnt metal hunk of rust landed and skidded 100 yards away. With my sensitive hearing, I caught the sounds of many pixie screams. Pixies are tiny, insect sized, wingless, flying, magical sentient creatures that walk on two legs and look a lot like humans. Pixies were protected under our law, especially in the Hornet Kingdom, my kingdom. Glitterbugs are purple glowing insects slightly larger than pixies that excrete a purple glitter when frieghtened or when they die. They were also protected. The only habit for the two creatures were these Pixie Fields that held no Ehkad habitat and spanned the lower half of the Hornet Kingdom continent. The Ehkad being my kind and we prided ourselves on keeping our own planet close to its natural ways.

"Unit! Call Headquarters. Unidentified ship in the Pixie Fields! Could be hostiles!" I ordered the moment we got within 10 yards of the thing. The wreckage was a mass of bodies and torn out of date ship metal. As Knight - leader of my group - it's important to make sure nothing can escape onto our planet and conduct this search as efficiently as possible.

I raced forward and kept my back paws rooted in the ground as I climbed ontop of the wreckage. I could hear the frantic heartbeat of a dying creature and bent forward, using all four hands to peel away the wreckage. The golden bars of a cage caught the light and I nearly lost my footing as I saw the pitiful thing inside. I grabbed the cage, but the movement tore a scream from the animal. Most of what I could see without moving the cage too much was a large, segmented black tail that had a deadly stinger on the end and two large feathered wings that were being stretched out so far they were broken. Don't get me wrong, the creature was a whole lot smaller than myself, but what shocked me was the human I saw attached to the wings and tail. The last time an Earth Research ship came back, their findings said humans were resiliant, but without natural weapons. This animal looked mostly human and when I gathered my thoughts, I called out to Mint - Unit's mate and the lead on extraterrestrial life. "Mint! There's an animal in this cage! Get me the fire-cutters!"

Fire-cutters are an advanced weapon. The hilt stores fuel and when you press the button a flame shoots from the barrel. The flame is tremendously hot and burned right through the bars, but the creature tugged against the bars like I was hurting him. I grabbed the middle of the section I was burning off and the moment the flame went through the last bar, tossed the junk into the rest of the wreckage. This poor thing was hurt in many places and covered in blood, so my extraction of him was gentle as I wrapped one hand around him and used my other three to untangle his wings and tail. Yet when he was free of his entrapment, but the humanoid fell limp, like he was ready to give up and unable to fight for his life.

I sat him down on his feet, yet he fell to the ground, unable to stand. I looked at Yupo and gave the animal proper time to observe us. He had most likely been snatched from his home and experimented on. Mint had been able to identify the dead bodies as Krovlotts, a being that was thought to be extinct centuries ago. A being that was so bad, it had forced our planet and three others into war to get rid of them. Their biological experiments had gotten out of hand. If this one ship could be found, who's to say there weren't more out there.

Turning my attention back to the human and fully examining him, I stepped forward and fell to my knees, my body crumpling down as if I was lying down, but I stayed upright. "It's a human, Yupo. A severely damaged and tormented human."

The small creature struggled to get close to me and when he did, he latched onto my fur and pressed his face into me. Sobs wracked his body and my heart ached. Gently, I pressed one hand behind his head, the other around his wings, another around his legs and picked him up, cradling him to my chest. I used my fourth hand to gently rub the blood and tears from his face after carefully wrapping his broken wings around his bare body. "You'll be okay, little human." I cooed. "Daeus has got you. You're safe now. Daeus is here."

Large black eyes stared up at me and my heart broke all over again. Inside those dark depths were nothing. Despite the tears and the emotions I could feel running through his body, his eyes were like an endless abyss of resignation and pain. It was like he'd lost all hope of being saved until I came along. That's probably what had caused the Bond to snap and as he fell unconcious, I vowed to never let him be harmed again.

A hand rested on my shoulder and I turned my head to look at Yupo, the pastel green Ehkad standing beside me. "Prince Ceasur is one his way. He'll take care of this. Leave the humanoid with him." She instructed.

I shook my head fiercly and gave her a warning growl. "I am Bonded with this human. He is mine to protect and provide for." Bond's are eternal. Like the Mateship of two Ehkads, a Bond is forever, binding two souls like a pair of siblings or a parent to their child. Like Ceasur and me, the eldest and youngest of King Harlem. "I will always care for him and I will see him smile one day. I will give him something to be happy for. My little, Void." I looked up at Yupo and with determination and authority, said, "His name is Void." For when I looked into the depths of his black orbs, there was nothing but pain and suffering. Nothing where there should have been something.