Chapter Six

Edited: 5-19-24

Void's POV

When I woke, I thought that maybe I had been put out of my misery and was in the afterlife, but the pain that accompanied my awakening told me that I was still very much alive. Everything hurt. I couldn't even will myself to move, let alone examine where exactly I was. My body felt weighted down and heavy and everything, aside from the pain, was numb. I couldn't even move my fingers. I felt like dead weight, like I wasn't actually there, like I was observing my body from outside of my body, not really all there.

The few things I did know were that I was alone, the room I was in was very, very large, and I was lying on top of something that was very soft. The lights in the room didn't seem to be generated naturally from a sun, yet in the corner of my eye I saw a window. But there was nothing else that resembled a lamp or a light source. The pale blue walls are what seemed to emit the glow and the dark blue, star-riddled ceiling nearly contrasted the light in the room. Yet I had no worries, nor did I care. Why should I have cared? I was nothing, am nothing. I may have been saved from death, but now I was alone, subject to the dark thoughts and the dark mind that accompanied a broken being.

I didn't care as to why I was here. I didn't desire to be anywhere. Earth had been unkind to me. Space had been unkind to me. My whole existance I had known nothing but pain and betrayal and just more pain. If I could close my eyes and cease to exist as one feels when under anethesia, I would.

"It's an honor to have you here, Prince Daeus. I know you father and brothers don't treat you as such, but you are popular here among my village. I love being in Prince Ceasur's sector and all, but my community sees you as a hero. You and your division has often aided the weak and the sick. Without your donations, my mate would have died. I mean, we are on the outskirts of the Kingdom."

"You're very much welcome, doc. But what about my Bond? Can you help him?"

I froze at the sound of voices, but ultimately let my body relax. There is no need to be afraid any longer when one does not even care if they live or die. My wings were broken, my tail was currently useless. My head was throbbing and as the voices got closer, the only thing I wanted was to be next to Daeus, the one that had saved me and it was either because he was saved me or I was just naive enough to trust that he would care for me. Naive like I had been with Quill, too stupid to understand that I should have gotten help long ago.

"Your human is very weak. He's been through a lot of transformations from what a normal human should be and function as. My scans could not determine everything, but from what I did see and observe, his scars are from a very long and abusive past. Not to mention the recent scars. His healing process has been sped up from what we've seen from normal humans, yet the breaks in his wings and tail don't seem to be getting any better."

The door opened and my body stiffened. It was natural to be afraid, especially when that something that made you afraid was easily capable of ripping you to shreds or squashing you like a bug. It wasn't Daeus who walked in first either and my brain was overloaded with fear of the giant creature. It had dark, forest green fur and when its eyes roamed over my form, they were an inky black. Daeus walked in behind it and came around to my side. I didn't move as he laid a hand on my hand.

"What worries me is that he may be far too gone. One wrong move, one wrong misunderstanding and it could kill him. The wings are built for flight, yet the leathery skin indicates the ability to aid in swiming with water-proof feathers. The tail is very Earth-like of one of their animals known as a scorpion and the poison in the stinger is enough to kill you, me, and eight others with a simple dose and it would be very painful. The armor on his hands, arms, chest, back, and the back of his skull indicates that there was unreparable damage that had been replaced. I took the liberty of testing one of these scales and the only thing that hurt it was his own poison, which melted it." The dark green Honeycomb walked up to the other side of me and I moved closer to Daeus. "His teeth have also been altered and each one is hollow and sharp. His fangs are way too long to fit inside his human jaw as they rest folded in two small grooves in the roof of his mouth. I'm afraid . . ."

"Afriad of what doc? Do you know why he has all of these changes?"

"I'm afriad he was crafted into a weapon. The perfect weapon. Krovlotts had succeeded years ago, but we had thought we'd wiped them out. They hadn't been able to test their drugs. Your Bond is proof that they are restarting the BioWeapon project." The dark green Honeycomb grabbed something and reached for me. I stopped breathing and froze, locking my gaze with her's, as from the sound of its voice, this Honeycomb was a female. I pleaded with her with my eyes not to touch me, but she didn't seem to understand as she grabbed my arm closest to her and stuck the needle, that seemed way to small for her gigantic hands, into my wrist.

"It also seems as if they had been trying to perfect his body into one that would be very, very hard to eliminate. A weapon for planets like ours and his." She removed the needle and pressed a thumb over the spot. "From the scans, it doesn't appear that he needs any food and could survive from a diet of liquids - mainly water. This was probably another part of being a weapon as needing foods would hinder his ability to perform perfectly."

Daeus ran a hand over my arm as if petting me. I held still, but his touch did not frighten me. There was something that kept my worries and fears at bay with him near, something inside of me that needed him with me. He'd saved me and I knew he wouldn't hurt me. Whatever they were saying . . . I couldn't tell if it was good or bad. I just needed to get out of this room. I was bare and cold and in pain and I just wanted to sleep until the end of time. "Can I take him home? I've taken care of plenty of injured animals. I don't want to put him through stress being here."

"Bring him back in two weeks though. I'd advise you keep him off of his feet and don't allow him to ly on his back over night. I've set all of the broken bones throughout him so just work on exercise. With the Dust drug, everything should be healed in two weeks." The dark green Honeycomb backed away from me and I didn't watch as she turned to a counter. The next thing I knew, I was being scooped up from the table and in Daeus' arms. My Honeycomb cradeled me like a child as he squeezed past the female and out of the room.

I kept my gaze on the alien holding me. Maybe it was an instictual need to be with him or some other thing messed up inside of me that made me okay with all of this. Maybe it was the way he looked at me as if he would burn the world to keep me safe. Maybe it was because right now he was the only reason I had to still be alive despite everything that had happened, but I didn't care where he took me or where we were as long as he was the one holding me. All of my pain had dulled and all of my thoughts had come to a slow trickle, as if my brain was pacified just with his touch and I was asleep before I even realized that my eyes were closing.