Chap. 54 • "Troubled"

Aya Weathers

"Thanks for the help, Chris." I sighed deeply as we placed the boxes in his trunk.

"It's nothing, I know this is hard for you." He rubbed my arm and pecked my cheek. I nodded and closed his trunk.

Sevion and Mia were murdered on Halloween night. According to police, there's no trace of a possible suspect. They interrogated me, suspicious because I happened to be there the night it happened. Dumb ass police.

Kenya's moving in with me, because she decided she would be more comfortable with me than any of her other family. It took her a moment to do some adjusting, but she's a really strong girl and tries to see the positive outlook on the situation.

After getting some renovations done, I got my guest room turned into a kid's bedroom. I got it decorated similar to how her room was at her parents' house. Purple walls with blue butterflies on the ceiling. Chris even painted a picture of her on the wall. Safe to say, she's gonna love it.

As for me, all I left is to get her signed as a legal resident of my house. Luckily they lived close enough to me so I wouldn't have to enroll her into a new school. I do have to change the emergency contact, the address on her record, and get her medical information.

"Alright, baby girl. You ready to go home?" I asked her as I got in my car. She nodded eagerly, her toothy smile making me happy in ways I couldn't imagine. It's nice to see her still smiling through a time like this.

Chris followed us back to the house, since he had the rest of her items in his trunk. I unlocked the front door for Kenya to go in the house, and grabbed a box out the backseat.

I followed her up to her room, chuckling at her loud gasp. I set the box down against the wall, watching her scan the room in awe.

"You like it?"

"I love it, Tete!" She latched onto my legs and hugged me tight.

"I'm glad to hear that, princess."

After we got all of her things in the house, I felt a sense of relief knowing that we were partially done with this moving process.

"What do you want for dinner?" I asked her.

"Can we go out and eat together?" She asked a question of her own with pleading eyes.

"Sure, pumpkin."

She didn't really want to go anywhere fancy, so we ended up at Dairy Queen because I wanted to get some ice cream afterwards. We both ordered chicken tenders boxes, which is funny because something told me she would like the same thing I usually ate.

"Alright, let's play a game of 20 questions. I'll start, what's your favorite color?" I asked her before popping a fry into my mouth.

"Purple. Yours?"

"Blue. But I think I look good in black," I winked. "Favorite food?"

"Chicken nuggets!" She exclaimed in excitement, showing me her chicken tender.

"Me too, Ken. Me too."

As I was about to ask her another question, I was interrupted by two girls coming up to our table.

"Excuse me, can I get a picture with you?" The curly haired girl asked. Me?

"Oh, shit. Sure." I wiped my mouth and hands before standing up. I posed with the girl and her friend took the picture.

"Thank you so much." She cheesed and the two of them walked off.

"Are you a famous person?" Kenya asked me in awe.