Chap. 76 • "Pretty Lies"

(Yo, my dumbass laughed so hard at this part in the movie when he started crying. I don't know what it is, but this face right here is SENDING me 💀💀)

Aya Weathers

"When I get older, I'mma buy me a gun and I'm gonna kill him." Chris huffed as we sat on the curb in front of the corner-store eating the snacks we managed to buy with the little money we scrounged up.

"You can get in trouble for that." I stated the obvious, popping a pretzel into my mouth.

"It'll be worth it. It'll make my momma happy." His voice cracked a little, but it was just from its rasp.

"I don't want you gettin' in trouble. I'm sure Momma J doesn't either." My strong country accent popped in to say hello.

"You ain't gotta worry about me."

"Yes I do." I furrowed my brows.

"Nuh-uh." Chris shook his head.

"Uh-huh!" I argued, getting irritated.

"I say no."

"Well I say yes and that's final!" I stuck my nose into the air, crossing my arms.

"Why?" His tone softened. I looked down at the ground.

"Cause you're always takin' care of me, worrying about me. You have problems too, but you don't tell me nothin'. It's just not fair." I pouted and leaned my head against the brick wall.

"A man is supposed to take care of his woman. You don't need to be worried about me."

"Except you're not a man. You're just a boy. And I'm not a woman yet, and if I was I certainly wouldn't be yours!" I scrunched my face up.

"Wanna make a bet?" Chris turned his full body towards me. I contemplated for a moment.

"What are you getting at?" I squinted at him.

"When we grow up, and I'm big and strong, and I can take care of you, you're gonna fall in love with me." A smirk tugged on his freckled face. I stared at him for a moment.

"I say I won't." I pursed my lips together.

"Only time can tell."

"Well what's in it for me? What's my prize, if and when I don't fall in love with you?" I side-eyed him.

"I'll let you into the clubhouse with me and the big kids." He nudged my arm. Chris always hangs out with the older guys, but when he does he doesn't let me come. I feel left out, but I convince him that I have better things to do.

"Fine. And you?" I gave in.

"Well, I'll just keep what I got, which is you."

I sighed deeply and nodded. It was silent between the two of us, and all that could be heard was the chirping of crickets, the rustling of the bag of pretzels, and my muffled chewing.

"Christopher?" I spoke up.

"Aya?" He mocked me.

"I don't wanna love you. Or anybody else. I don't want you to love me either." I stared off to the side.

"Why not?" A hint of disappointment was masking his tone.

"Love seems to only work sometimes. I don't know if the batteries need to be changed or what, but it's always on and off."