Chapter Eight

Edited: 5-19-24

Void's POV

The door shut and the female Honeycomb left. It was silent again and slowly, after minutes, my heartbeat slowed, my breathing became normal and I stopped. Daeus was petting my hair again and shushing me again. His voice was softer, gentler than before. Once again the constant rythym of his heartbeat became the only thing I heard again. I needed him and the instinctual tug I felt in my gut told me that our relationship was more than just that of some abused animal he had found and decided to care for.

*Thump*

*Thump*

*Thump*

Daeus' heartbeat was much different than a human's. The more I listened, the calmer I got, but the more it sounded like more than just one heart. The more I forced myself to focus on just him, the easier it became to realize that my irrational fear was just that - irrational.

*Thump-ump*

*Thump-ump*

*Thump-ump*

"Are you alright, Void? Yupo didn't mean to scare you, little one." Daeus' voice was calmer. I looked up into his eyes and noticed that his right ones had a bit more clarity, a bit brighter. "What have you gone through?" He sounded like he was musing about something. "Yupo, come in slowly, on my count."

His thumb was on my forehead, stroking it in the direction of my hair. "You've been hurt, but my mate will never hurt you. She's just like me, but maybe a bit softer." He smiled and used his claws to trace light patterns over my forehead that actually felt calming. "I can't let you down unless you're sleeping because if you get hurt, it'll be on me. You don't understand any of this, but I read that talking to your Bond like they can will develop a healthy relationship. It's going to be alright, okay? We'll get through this. You need to heal.  -  - Okay, Yupo, I've got his attention."

"Did you know that once a Bond is formed, the non-Ehkad species will live for as long as their Ehkad-bond? A human's lifespan is so short compared to ours, but then again, Earth rotates much faster than Cera does." I tensed at the sound of the door creaking open, but Daeus kept petting my hair, gently keeping my eyes on him while I wasn't feeling forced. "We were formed by Taurikie, our diety. Or so the legends go. Each Kindgom as their own version of the beginning history. Taurikie was this giant body of life in the Oversky that created everything. It's said that Bonds were formed to give meaning to life and relationships. So many virtues of living and being a peaceful species. He granted us with many gifts and my gift was you."

"Trust me, Void," I understood my name though and I relaxed, focusing only on Daeus, watching him as he talked to me. "Yupo is a friend, my mate. There's nothing to be afraid of. I'm here, right?" He continued to pet my hair as he spoke. "Okay, Yupo. Hand me the bottle and back away just as slowly. I don't want you to startle him again. Or me, I'm not too sure."

He kept looking at me, kept his voice the same, but something changed. I started to tense again when he moved his left top arm over me, but he also pushed me lightly into him where all my senses were encompassed by his scent, his touch. It was immensenly calming. You would think that something so animalistic and primal would smell like a barn or a zoo, but he smelled different than anything on Earth. It was highly calming, but also very musky, like something you'd get from someone that smelled like the woods or what I imagined a fictional werewolf would smell like.

When he pulled back, I stared curiously at the object in his top right hand. It looked like it could fit normally in my hand, but was tiny in his hand and pinched between two fingers. It was the same bottle the pastel green female had been holding and he lowered it to me. "Thank you, Yupo. Don't close the door, remain low and don't make any sound. If I can get him used to anyone else, it should be you." He held the bottle in front of my face and the liquid inside was like a sparkly light pinkish-white color. "Due to the things that happened to you, your bodily makeup was changed. The vet took the best calculations and the milk of a Foovine is more equivalent to an Earth animal called a cow. Although there are plenty of chemical and DNA separations and we were given some additivies that'll boost your recovery."

There was a light chuckle in Daeus' voice, but nothing that really told me what he expected me to do. Was this bottle of liquid for me to drink? It didn't even look drinkable. It was even sparkling. Yet . . . I hadn't had anything to eat or drink for God knows how long. I barely survived with the Bugs and I hadn't eaten before I'd been abducted. How long had I even been away from Earth with the Bugs? Was I able to eat or drink? "You've got to drink something, so I hope it's not too bad." 

Daeus put the bottle lightly against my lips and I caught the jist of what he wanted. I needed to be kept alive and that meant a way to supply nutrients to by body. If not water, than another substance. "Please, Void. I can't have you starving to death on me." His voice wasn't much a whine, but I caught that he was asking me to at least try it. I opened my mouth and winced at the pain in my jaw from opening it. He put the bottle in and a ravishing hunger took over me. I sucked the contents of the bottle until there wasn't a single drop left. It tasted like a very sweetened version of milk, but it wasn't overpowering sweet and I could have drank it until I was engorged.

The moment the bottle was removed, the weird hunger was gone and I was fulfilled. And also tired. "I'll take that as a 'you like it.' One bottle three times a day should be enough for now until the vet can get you a better specialized formula." He must've forgotten the panic I went into early as when he went to hand the bottle off, I looked back and noticed the crouched down pastel green Honeycomb taking the bottle from him and I screeched like a banshee, although the sound came back at me and I was getting a mixed signal between what my eyes were seeing and some sort of black and blue image of what the room looked like. It startled me so much, I just froze up, my eyes wide as I stared at nothing.

"Don't move Yupo. I-I don't know what's best to do. I don't want him to be so scared."

I could feel the fear in his heartbeat and the way his muscles tensed. It was like a silent, tension-filled atmosphere that I assumed was created because of me. Not wanting to cause my savior to feel upset over me, I forced my fear and pain to the back of my mind, something I'm very used to doing.

Taking my eyes off of the Honeycomb, I shakingly turned back to Daeus and forced myself to sit up in his hold, and trying to give him a hug. My hands barely reached around his sides, which wasn't by much. I pressed my head into his chest and the pain that accompanied the movements in my wings was nearly unbearable. Once again, another thing I shoved off that would only hit me harder later.

"Daeus -"

His top arms were hanging over me in startlement, but there was no longer any fear in his muscles or heartbeat. Instead he was only confused. Maybe, I couldn't read all of his emotions but just by what I got from his actions. I was safe . . . I was safe. I am safe.

"Can humans sense emotions?" Daeus' voice was softer than soft. There wasn't even a rumble in his chest. "Is he responding to my emotional state?"

"I..I-I should leave," The female's voice was broken and disrupted, not like she was broken, but like she was a little upset or sad or confused, I wasn't sure. I didn't want to see her. I didn't want to look at her, nor did I want her in the room, but she seemed like she was close to Daeus. What if me not accepting her hurt him? What if he didn't like me because I was scared of the female he was close with? Did females to the Honeycomb kind mean more than . . . whatever I was to Daeus? I didn't even know what Daeus thought of me or why he wanted me.

A few deep breaths later and I still wasn't ready to let go. Daeus hadn't relaxed his arms, but it might've been because he didn't want to touch my wings. Slowly, I detached myself from Daeus and turned to the female. It took a moment, but I finally opened my eyes and my breathing stopped. Fear overtook me and I froze. My body started to shake and I tried to smile, but instead felt as if I was going to puke. My heartbeat was accelerated, but this was really, really hard. She was a different Honeycomb. She was something . . . She wouldn't hurt me, I knew that, but I just couldn't . . . . . . I really wanted to try. I wanted to be better then these emotions. I wanted to be able to face the other Ekhad that was important to Daeus, but I couldn't . . . 

Darkness consumed me as panic and fear overtook my whole body and I was out before I knew what was happening.