Chapter Eleven

Edited: 5-19-24

Void's POV

Daeus didn't take me out of the water, even though at the sound of his voice, I half expected him to. Instead, he tried to settle down as he started to put soap into my hair. I let him clean my hair and stood patiently as he combed through my feathers, but to my surprise, the water just rolled right off my feathers and I realized they were waterproof. Daeus didn't seem surprised though. "You're wings are very pretty, Void. Very shiny. I'm surprised water could do such magic."

Once he was done, he took a soft rag and gently ran it all over my body with a foam soap. He turned on the overhead shower again to rinse the soap off as he drained the tub of the dirty water. Once the tub was drained and the soap was removed, he took care to clean my tail, although he avoided the stinger. I knew there was a toxin inside, but was it deadly to him? "This is a very powerful weapon. I hope you never have to use it." It was like he was mumbling to himself. I liked the silence, but I also liked it when he talked to me. He knew I didn't understand him, but it was the companionship that counted.

When that was over with, he refilled the tub. "I guess it wouldn't harm anybody to let you play around in the water. I need to call the vet with updates and get you an appointment. The Krovlotts obviously designed you to be a water-type weapon. . . Gosh, I hate using that word. You aren't a weapon." I tilted my head as I listened to him talk, but the moment the tub was filled, I dove under the water again, this time without Daeus reaching in to catch me. When I popped back up to the top, Daeus was turned away and talking into a device that looked similar to a phone.

"Yes, he's completely healed."

Mumbles came from the other end before my Honeycomb spoke again. "His wings look brand new and he's moving like he's never been weak or injured. You should've seen the look he gave me when I put him in the water! He was so happy!"

He hung up the call a few moments later and turned back to me. "We've got another trip to the vet. I want to make sure everything is actually alright before we just assume the worst is over." 

It didn't take long for him to coax me out of the water. Well, he didn't really have to coax me. He prevented me from going back under and I understood playtime was over. I tried to climb out of the tub, but when I struggled to get a grip on the slippery surface, he just picked me up and sat me down a towel. He had to lay down to dry me off, considering the height difference, but I didn't mind. There wasn't anymore pain to my movements, nor his touches. It was a little cold so I did wish for some clothes, but it was alright since there wasn't any other humans around to judge me. Now if we went out, I wouldn't want all the other Honeycomb to see me in such an undignified state.

"I hope this trip goes smoothly." Daeus told me as he picked me up. I didn't know where we were going, but I grabbed onto him and relaxed in his hold. We entered a large room that was twice the size of his bedroom and the sudden wide space startled me. It was obvious this was some sort of living/gathering space, and it made me wonder how many other Honeycomb he lived with. I knew nothing of their culture. "We're just going to go to the vet. It's not a long run, but if you act how you did when you saw Yupo, I don't think you'll enjoy going outside too much."

When Daeus reached for a door, I wasn't too worried about it, but then he opened the door and I realized it lead to the outside. We were going outside? My breathing picked up in panic and I suddenly tried to leave Daeus' hold. With the water having healed me, I didn't have anything holding me back from trying to escape and I tried. I flapped my wings on instinct trying to get away and Daeus stumbled backwards trying to keep me in his arms. 

We were not going outside. I could not go outside! Outside was a place full of mosters and terrible things that wanted to hurt me!

"Void! Calm down!" Daeus' voice was hard to hear, but I wouldn't have listened anyway even if I understood him. I felt myself dropping from his hold and before he could grab me, I was on the ground and I ran back the way we'd come - to his room. Realizing the door was shut, I whined and turned around, seeing him standing in the hall, watching me with what seemed to be concerned - sad eyes.

"We have to go outside, Void," Daeus cooed, his voice softer than before. "It's okay. Come here." He folded his front legs under him and held his arms out. "Come here, Void." I took a deep breath. It would be nice to be back in his hold, not having to worry about anything. It would be nice to stay safe and stay with him, so I walked back to him, relaxing as he scooped me up in his arms and cooed. 

He carried me into his room after opening the door and grabbed a small blanket from my area. I didn't know what he was doing, but he covered me with the blanket and tucked it behind my head. I had my suspicions that we were still going outside, but like people do with animals back on Earth to keep them from freaking out, he'd covered my line of sight. 'Smart,' I thought. It didn't really bother me that I responded to such things like animals would, I was part one myself since the Bugs had experimented on me. 

I heard him opening the front door and the light changed slightly, but I didn't have to see the outside. I didn't have to see the other Honeycombs or creatures that may be roaming the land. "Good boy, Void." I heard Daeus say, speaking softly as he continued to walk. "Now let's go see the vet."