Chapter Fifteen

Edited: 5-20-24

Void's POV

It took a week for me and Daeus to have some sort of communication. I hated the collar and was thankful he took both that and the harness off at night, but from the moment I woke up to the moment it was time to sleep, I was fitted to both even though we haven't gone anywhere since the last trip to the vet. I didn't know if he was just trying to get me used to the items or if he thought I needed to have them on. I hated them, but by the end of the week, they were an after thought and barely noticeable. What worried me though was that I haven't seen Daeus interact with anyone else. I feared I was keeping him separate from his friends and family and that he would end up resenting me for it.

There was an array of signs that I knew and could convey to Daeus when I needed something. Bathroom, hungry, and tired were the most common ones. We couldn't talk to each other like a human could talk to another human, but when I'm with Daeus I can forget everything about where I came from. I didn't need to talk about anything when I had him right here and he understood me without words. Every afternoon Daeus fills up the bath and lets me play in the water - which to be honest is more fulfilling than the weird sweet milk-like substance he feeds me every morning. As long as I get to play in the water in the afternoon I don't get hungry throughout the rest of the day.

I could also somewhat understand certain commands verbally. To an extent. I'm not saying I could copy the words even if I could speak, but with practice over this past week I can hear what he says and understand what he wants. The only time my tail comes out of the cover is when I'm in the water because for some reason water neutralizes the toxin, although I know Daeus doesn't know that. I don't have to be scared anymore and I really, really like it here, just me and Daeus . . . alone.

Usually, I spend my time snuggling up next to Daeus on the couch in his room, dozing off as he spends his time on his phone or reading. And when I'm not with him, I've learned how to turn on the computer in the living room and watch a few shows. I can't understand the words, but I can understand body language and thankfully the Honeycombs are big on body language. Plus, putting my imagination to work as I watch the shows also helps to keep me entertained. I give all the characters their own names and with their body language I can decipher their personalities and relations with the others. I find it quite enjoyable and it keeps me from going bored.

Today though, Daeus was nervous. His tail tip kept flicking this way and that, which I don't think he noticed. His ears also kept twitching as if he was waiting for a certain sound. It made me nervous that he was nervous. I was relaxed here and I didn't want anything to change. I didn't want our little bubble to be broken. Daeus was mine and I was his, our relationship was more than just owner and pet. He really cared for me and I wouldn't survive without him.

Currently, it was mid-day and I'd spent the day at the computer, watching the second episode of a new season after I got tired of movies. But I knew I'd have to rewatch this episode because I couldn't focus like normal. It was like the air was suffocating with nerves and I don't know if Daeus realized how much his emotions affected me.

As I was trying to focus, my feathers ruffled at the sound of a soft knock on the door. I paused the episode and froze. "Void," Daeus spoke softly as he came from the hallway. I turned to look at him and he was coming up behind the chair. He held his lower two arms out and I stood up, letting him grab me. "Please try to stay calm. If it's too much we'll try another time." I didn't understand a word he said, which was a given by now, but the sound of his voice was soothing. I tried not to look at the door, but my eyes were glued to it as he carried me over to the door to answer whoever was there.

Void ran a hand through my hair to help calm my nerves before he reached for the door handle. I tensed up as the knob turned and shrunk back against Daeus as the fiery red sunlight blinded me momentarily before I recognized the pastel green skin and fur with more blotched markings than Daeus had standing right outside. My eyes flicked up to her light blue eyes and I blinked rapidly before turning my head away. Of course it would be someone Daeus knew. I was selfish to think I could have him all to myself. This female was special to him, someone he cared about. I could feel how much he loved her and had missed her and I was stupid to think it could just be us.