Chapter Twenty-Five

Edited: 5-21-24

Daeus' POV

It'd been three days on the ship and we still weren't at Earth yet. Although we were due to arrive within three hours. To my surprise, Void had adapted smoothly to life on the ship. He was rarely in the room Yupo and I shared and instead he didn't mind playing with the four Rasorine that had also taken well to him. After being scared of them for a few hours, that is. He also loved bothering Deodiar and the two divisions that was now my own team. They were all fond of him and took great care to make sure that he was safe on this ship.

"You need to sleep, Daeus." Yupo came up from behind me and placed two arms around me, pulling me close to her. "Everyone can see that you care for your Bond, there's no need to keep yourself awake like this."

I shook my head. It was the middle of the night. Even though out here, in space, you couldn't tell. Endless blackness surrounded up, punctuated by the stars. Everyone was asleep in their rooms. I was left to run the ship. "I can't sleep. The council didn't give me any information on the Krovlotts."

"What if there was none to give? They were wiped out years ago, Daeus. That ship full of them was most likely the last of them." My mate looked into my eyes and smiled, but I wasn't happy. I wasn't content.

"You don't feel what I feel. There was information they could've given me. I know there are more out there, I can feel it. Void was ruined by these creatures and I want them to be gone for good. No flukes, no mistakes. Their home planet was destroyed and they don't have the technology to start another. They're blacklisted in every race's documents. That ship wasn't the only one." I knew it wasn't. It couldn't be. Krovlotts didn't like to expand too many through multiple ships. If they were still out there, there would be one ship with a mother ship. With one already destroyed when we found Void, they wouldn't have the resources to build another ship.

Yupo sighed. "I need to get back to Void. He doesn't sleep to well without one of us close. You need to think about sleeping. If the Krovlotts are still out there, they'll be dealt with. It's not your problem. The ones that hurt Void are dead. If they were a threat the council would have told us no matter how much they despised us." She rubbed my back slightly before breaking off and walking away.

I was left in silence. The ship was pitch black aside from the small red and blue blinking lights on the panels. I huffed and sat down, extending my arms across the panel and laying my head down. Watching the stars, I couldn't help the feeling of defeat in my gut. Even if the council didn't care about me or my Bond, they cared about their precious planet and rules. If the Krovlotts were out there, they'd already have them brought to justice.

But I couldn't help but think that they didn't care about the Krovlotts anymore. It'd been so long since the war, after a while, people like the kings that govern our kingdoms don't care. They didn't have to deal with the Bio-War, the kings before them did.

"Warning . . ."

A small staticy, robotic voice spoke through the speakers in the panel. The voice was female and it startled me for a moment until I remembered the ship had a built-in system that was featured to say many things.

There were no blaring red lights so I didn't think to wake the crew, not until I knew what the warning was. The voice was soft because most of the crew was sleeping, so I made my way to the main control panel and pressed a button that was rapidly flashing green.

"Warning . . . unidentified spacecraft approaching rapidly. Straight on. Preparing communications."

A buzz went through the ship and the green light stopped flashing. Instead a blue light turned on and I flicked the lever it was above. "Identify yourselves before I deem you hostile." I demanded, my voice sounding rougher than I'd intended.

A loud crackle went through the speakers. "What's going on Daeus?" Deodiar's voice sounded sleepy as she walked from the back. "Why's Geode speaking?"

Geode? Must've been the name of the ship. I held down the lever and spoke again. "Identify yourselves or I will launch fire."

I could hear Deodiar's feet running back the way she came and could hear her rousing the rest of the crew. In moments, everyone aside from Yupo was crowded around, staring forward through the window as the approaching spacecraft when another crackle came through the speakers.

"We are . . . "

"Krovlotts."

I turned around to see Raywr standing behind me with a small device in her hands. Her moss colored fur was hard to make out in the dark, but it was undoubtedly her. A part of Oppe's reseach division.

"We are not hostile." The voice that came through the speakers spoke our language in bad choppy words. "But you have something . . . that is ours. Give it back or we will no longer be friendly."

I looked back at Raywr for more information. "There's only about 15 inside. The scanner's picking up on more than a few clumps of bodies, can't tell if there's two or three in those areas. Might be more around 20."

"There's 10 of us." Kett spoke out from the front, her seaweed green fur harder to see than Raywr was.

Deodiar tapped my shoulder and flicked the lever down. A slight growl emitted from her as she spoke. "One survivor. They've done enough damage. Tell them to dock under us and you'll bring what they want. Once inside, loose yourself. One Ekhad is enough to damage half of them. I'll come through and end them." Deodiar's voice sounded sinister and I could hear her claws scraping the ground.

With a nod, I flicked the lever up and pressed the button down. "I have spoke to my crew. I'll bring you what you are looking for if you dock under us with the above hatch open."

After several tense moments, we got a response. "Acceptable. Thank you for your cooperation."

We watched as the ship got closer and lower, slowing down as it did so. With the sound of it under us, I left the front and made my way over to the entrance. Deodiar lowered the staircase enough for me to fit while still being closed. Oppe brought over gravity stabalizer and oxygen mask and tank. He fitted the tank to my back and helped get the oxygen mask on. As a species adapted to being able to be in space, we didn't need a protective suit, but the longer you stayed in space, the weaker you became. This trip had to be fast and quick.

Walking into the staircase, I ducked down as the hatch closed above me, keeping them sealed inside. With the staircase continuing to lower, I made my way down to the Krovlott ship. From my angle, they wouldn't be able to see if I was carrying what they wanted until I got inside - which then it would be to late. I kept my arms behind my back to further decieve them. The ugly creatures didn't have good eyesight anyway.

I could smell the terrible stench of their species long before I got inside. When I got inside, it was almost unbearable. Without hesitation, the Krovlotts stepped back from the small staircase that led down into their much smaller ship. I squeezed through and fit snuggly inside. There was barely enough room to move around. Thankfully Krovlotts like a lot of space, other wise I wouldn't be able to stand up. My top half was hunched over, but I could work with this.

Without hesitation, I let my claws slide from their sockets and lunged at the nearest Krovlotts. Working my way through them, my head kept hitting the top of the ship. I didn't waste anytime slashing through their soft, squishy skin. The ugly things didn't know what hit them. My claws on my paws and hands easily sliced through their soft skin and the yellow liquid of the blood emitted a pungent scent that was almost enough to make me puke.

When I heard the dying screams, I knew Deodiar was behind me and once I got to the front of the ship, there was one left. "Please! No kill! No kill!"

The Krovlott could barely speak our language, but it was enough to be understood. I growled and Deodiar came up behind me. Covered in the goop of Krovlott blood and surrounded by their bodies, I turned around and made my way back to their ship. Like I'd been told, one survivor.

After I was done with him, there'd be no survivors.