Chapter Twenty-Six

Edited: 5-21-24

Daeus' POV

Deodiar carried the Krovlott back. She was smaller than me so she moved through their ship easier and plus it was one of the smaller Krovlotts - not that they were very big anyway. I rose first up to the ship and when the hatch opened, Void was standing not to far away, being held back by Yupo. His eyes were wide and I could tell that he wanted to run to me, but then I stepped into the ship and he seen the yellow goop covering my paws and hands. He froze and I could see him trembling.

Not wanting to scare him, I didn't go towards him, but I should have been smart enough to keep the Krovlott out of his sight. Once Deodiar came up after me with the small Krovlott in her arms, he panicked. His wings were flapping like he was caught and he got out of Yupo's hold. The fear scent radiating from him was harsh and cold. He cried out at the sight of the thing and raced back to the room. I wanted to go after him - to calm him down, but I couldn't. Not covered in Krovlott blood - not while I had other things to deal with.

Looking at Yupo, she nodded and followed Void. Hopefully she could soothe him until I was able to. It'd been stupid of me to allow him too see the creature of which harmed him. It hurt in my heart and gut to have seen the panic and fear in his eyes.

"Ready to continue flight. Go far enough away from the ship that we are not associated with it. Plans have changed. Earth is not our course just yet." The others nodded and the lights inside the ship came on. Things started to work faster than when on auto-pilot and Deodiar came up to me with the Krovlott.

"What should I do with the prisoner?" She asked, her voice snarling.

Grinning madly, I glared at the Krovlott. "Bring him down to the pit. I've got some questions for him." Stalking away from her, I couldn't help the boiling rage that ignited in my gut. His kind has caused so much harm in the past and they've hurt that which is mine. I will not rest until every single one of them are broken, bleeding bodies left for the space-scaves to eat.

Descending into the bottom layer of the ship - the part where all the machinery is at, I made my way to the pit. The pit is a large arena used for interrogating, combat training, and many other things. When I stepped through the wire doors, the smell of long dried blood, dust, and coldness met my nose. I relished in it. Naturally, Ehkad are a predator, carnivorous species. With the rise of our intelligence and sentience, we've matured beyond that. We've been able to press down our natural instincts, but even I could take satisfaction over killing that which isn't meant to be.

Deodiar threw the Krovlott inside with me and shut the door. She left to clean up, but I didn't need her here. With not much space to go, the small thing backed fearfully away from me. As ugly as it was, I'm glad it was dark.

"Where did you come from?" I asked, starting off the questions easy.

"Mothership," It stuttered out. The thing about Krovlotts is that they aren't very loyal, nor smart. Destructive and only bent on getting more power. Once captured, getting them to spill secrets wasn't too hard. Those with power took more effort, but they didn't have the will to keep quiet when faced with fear and pain - two things Krovlotts were not made to handle.

Growling, I got closer to it. It would always be a Mothership with these things. "How many more ships are out there?" My claws glinted in the low light and the hum that came from the machinery sounded like a death omen, preparing this vile creature for its demise.

"One, it went down in Sector 01. No communication since." His words were a garble of clicks and Ehkad language. "Threq'iks tells you all you wants to know."

I growled. "There's no other way than that." The Krovlotts nodded, his bug eyes following my every movement. "How many of you survived the war? What are you planning on doing?"

The Krovlott shook in fear. I could tell that he was young, but I didn't feel sorry for him. "We are small. Do not know how many. Threq'iks was not given specifics."

My claws slashed at the ground and it caused Threq'iks to jump. "Where is your Mothership located? You should know that much." My voice was dark. For a moment, I regretted being so hostile, but I couldn't let that moment last. I was doing this for Void. Every single one of these things deserved to die.

"Sector . . ." The Krovlott hesitated, glancing at my claws. I made a point and swiped one of my hands at him, my claws catching in his fragile skin. He let out a small wail. "Sector 07! Hidden on Moon 09285!"

I smiled. Knowing where the Mothership was located, Threq'iks was no longer needed. Grabbing the Krovlott, I let my claws dig into his skin. Yellow goop sprayed from the wounds and he let out a terrible, scratchy yell. Without wasting time on the vermin, I tore him in half, the gurgling as he ripped a terrible sound that made me snarl. Even after I stepped on the thing's heart, the body was still moving. Once it stopped, I dragged the remains over to the disposable hatch and let it drop out into space.

One more Krovlott down, plenty more to go.

Making my way back up to the main part of the ship, I found my way to the showers and washed the goop away. Even after it was all gone, I could still smell the stench of Krovlott on my paws and hands.

"Daues!"

Yupo's yell caused me to panic and I didn't even dry off as I ran to her. She was sitting on the bed, holding Void's hands away from him. Surrounding him was a pile of feathers and I noticed the pile of torn feathers lying around him. Carefully walking up to Void, I laid down and wrapped my arms around him. He started to cry and my heart plummeted. All I felt was fear coming from him and it hurt me. He'd pulled out many of his covert feathers and when I looked at his wings, I saw the black leathery skin underneath was raw and bleeding.

"Why did you do this?" I asked him, my voice soft. He stopped crying and when I looked down at him, he refused to meet my gaze. "It's my fault. I should have told Yupo to take you away from seeing the Krovlott. I'm so sorry."

"What are you planning on doing?" Yupo asked after a few moments of silence.

Still hugging Void, I sat up, holding him to my chest. He was upset and I didn't want to let him go. Looking at Yupo, I could see the beginning of what I wanted to do laid out in my head. The council would never agree to what I had planned. They would never allow me to go, never allow me to lead a team to go defeat our enemies. So I wouldn't tell them. Solidifying my thoughts, I met my mate's eyes.

"We're going to the Krovlott mothership and we're going to take them down, once and for all."