Chapter Twenty-Seven

Edited: 5-21-24

Void's POV

It'd been two days since that Bug was brought onto the ship. I don't know what was happening at the time. Everyone was awake when they were supposed to be sleeping and I couldn't find Daeus. When I did find him, he was coming up from the entrance of the ship and covered in an all too familiar yellow goop.

But when the Bug showed up . . .

I felt guilty for ripping out a lot of my covert feathers. Yupo had just gone to get something to eat and panic had overwhelmed me at being alone. When she'd come back, she'd called for Daeus and I couldn't do anything but cry when he held me. Somehow, I knew the Bug was gone, it was dealt with, but knowing that they were still out there was terrifying. How was I supposed to live peacefully with Daeus and Yupo if my past keeps haunting me?

But since that day, I've not eaten anything and I've not even been in the mood to play with the Saber's - for that's what they remind me of with their long canines. The four animals on board that I thought were scary, but are really just like having a sheep in wolf's clothing. My body has been wrecked with fever and me being sick was driving Daeus insane - I can tell.

"Daues," Deodiar, as I've learned her name is, poked her head into our small room, noticing me lying next to Daeus. My alien patted my head, sitting up to acknowledge the other female. "The council called . . . They know we aren't doing what we're supposed to. King Royce wanted me to tell you that it's time to come back. He said we do not have clearance to be going after the Krovlotts."

I coughed and huddled closer to Daeus. Even though my body was running a high fever, I was freezing. I already had one blanket over me and my wings wrapped tightly around me, but it was still as cold as Antarctica to me.

"We're not turning around. If we stay on course, we'll reach our destination tomorrow evening. No delays. I will not let the Krovlotts get away. We have proof they're starting the Bio-Weapons project and I won't let it continue." Daeus' voice was a soft growl. I whined and he laid back beside me, wrapping me in his arms, holding me close to his chest.

Deodiar looked down at me and I stared blankly back at her. "Don't you think it'd be wise to turn back. If Void is sick, he should be seen by a vet."

"No. Newtiom said he's sick with worry, literally. If I can get the problem to go away, the sooner we can get back to normal. Warmth and care are the only things going to make my Bond better." Daeus growled. "We're not turning around. Do whatever you need to, just get their approval."

The female stepped out of the room, the curtain closing in front of her. "And if they still say no," Deodiar asked.

"Then we'll all be in deep trouble when we get back because I am not letting them get away. The Krovlotts were a danger years ago and they'll be a danger now if we let them live." Daeus' tail was flicking in frustration and I burrowed closer to him. Just like his presence helped me, my presence helped him. The tension left his body and he relaxed, but he was still angry, still upset.

I don't know how much time passed after Deodiar left because I dozed off. Yet when I woke up, it was dark and Daeus wasn't near me. My sleep had been plagued by nightmares I couldn't even remember and I was covered in sweat. My mind still felt as if it was back in the nightmares and the darkness of the room did nothing to help the situation.

Disoriented, I stood up, the blanket discarded on the floor. Stumbling forward, I brushed past the curtain that separated our room from the other room and stumbled down the hall to the door that led to the main part of the ship. My tail felt numb and dragged on the floor behind me and my wings still ached from when I'd pulled out my covert feathers. I chirped, trying to call out for Daeus, but the action made me dizzy and the floor was swarming up to meet me.

Before I could fall, hands were grabbing me from behind and I yelped, fearful of who the hands might belong to. In the dim light, I could make out the periwinkle colored skin of Benji as he lifted me into his arms. The Honeycomb held me close to him and started to walk. I no longer felt dizzy, but I was shaking violently from how cold I was. Benji was walking at a fast pace and I assumed he was taking me to Daeus.

"Benji? What are you . . ." Daeus' voice caught my ears and I tried sitting up in Benji's arms, but my body didn't want to respond to my actions.

"I found him stumbling out of the sleeping chambers. I picked him up before he could fall, but . . . he doesn't look too good." Benji was one of the softer variants of Honeycomb. He was shorter than most and his voice sounded like it hadn't been completely developed. To me he always sounded like he was very shy.

Without warning, I was being transferred to Daeus and I snuggled into his chest as he held me, his warmth washing over me like a gentle wave. I closed my eyes and listened to their chatter, trying to keep my mind from straying too far away from the present.

"I shouldn't have left him back there alone. We've got one stop before we can go home, Void. Can you wait until then? Can you hold onto consciousness until then?" His voice was filled with kindness and I forgot what I was, all I knew was that this is where I was meant to be. In my fevered state, I didn't need to know who I was to know that I was going to be alright, that I belonged to someone who cared.

"The council gave us the go ahead to engage Krovlott mothership?" Benji's voice sounded distant, like it was being broadcasted to me from far away.

"Yes," Daeus ran a hand through my feathers, petting me to help keep me calm. "It was reluctant, but we got their approval. Tomorrow evening we will engage the mothership and the Krovlotts will be no more."