Chapter Sixteen

Edited: 5-20-24

Daeus' POV

I'd expected as much when Void ran. Well, not really, but it hadn't been a surprise. Yupo and I had caught up with each other through the rest of the day and she suggested staying the night. Void would come to her in his own time and I really needed him to get along with at least Yupo - she was my mate. If he couldn't, I'd be torn, but I couldn't live without my Bond. I couldn't live without either of them and I'd left Yupo to sleep on the couch since she also said Void needed to know where she was so he wouldn't panic too much.

I'd expected to wake up with Void in his bed, sleeping. I'd expected to wake up and prepare breakfast for Yupo while I let the human sleep. What I found was far beyond any of those expectations.

Walking into the living room, after seeing Void's bed empty, I stopped mid-step, paw raised in the air. Too my stunned, yet pleasant surprise, I found Void, sleeping peacefully right next to Yupo, snuggled against her divide with her front paw draped over his wings and torso. Never in all of Cera would I have expected to wake up and find my scared, shy little human sleeping next to Yupo, my kind, warm, and loving mate.

A small part of me was jealous, but how could I be jealous when Void had taken such a big step forward on his own? So caught up in my own thoughts, I didn't realize that Yupo had woken up. First, she looked at me and then she looked down and smiled at what she saw. "Does this mean he likes me?" Yupo whispered, careful not to disturb the sleeping human.

Walking forward quietly, I sat on the floor in front of the couch. "It's his most vulnerable position," I spoke just as softly. "I . . . don't know what to say. I hadn't expected this, but I think he's accepted you. Do you think he understands you're not a threat?"

Yupo looked down at the human. "I don't know about humans, but this one is quite amazing. Even if he doesn't understand it, he knows it in his heart." Yupo lightly put a hand in Void's hair and gently stroked backwards on his lengthening hair.

If our voices hadn't woken him, her touch did. Void's black eyes opened slowly, as if surfacing from a dream. He didn't immediately move, but when he saw my smiling face, he smiled back. My heart felt like it was going to burst. "Void," I said. "Do you like Yupo?" I nodded towards my mate and Void tensed, seeming to remember where he was, but then he saw the large leg and paw draped over him and he touched her fur, patting it a few times as if to say that she was alright.

"I'd say he likes you well enough." I said through a smile as I stood up. "Why don't you, Void, and I spend the day here so he can get used to you. I've noticed that he seems to pick up very easily on our body language. He'll have you figured out in no time." I told her, smiling, relieved that he had accepted her.

Yupo laughed and removed her paw from the human. Void sat up and got off the couch, his feet lightly tapping on the floor, the blanket he never took off trailing behind him. When he came forward and stumbled into my legs, he sleepily grabbed onto the right one and sat on my paw, leaning his head against me. "That sounds great, Daeus. I'll go get his bottle and then I'll cook some breakfast for us."

As Yupo stood up from the couch, I raised my paw from the ground and followed her into the kitchen, nearly tripping on Void's wings as he forgot to keep them folded. Thankfully I didn't, but I'd have to stop allowing him to sit on my paws. Yupo handed me Void's bottle and he perked up, nearly bouncing as he let go and stood, watching me and the bottle intently. Yupo's laugh filled the room and Void wasn't even fazed.

Handing him his bottle, I reminded myself to email the vet about a specialized formula. Yupo got started on the bacon and sausage and turned to me, resting all four of her arms on the table with her top two propping up her head. "I'd say he's done well settling in with you, Dae."

"Why don't we teach him your name when he's finished drinking? I don't know how he's going to understand that you're my mate, nor do I know if he can tell our genders or if there's a way we can even describe to him about Mint and Unit when the time comes." I looked down at my human and he stared back at me curiously, finishing the bottle and handing it to me. Without prompt, Void made his way over to Yupo and I watched curiously as he tapped on her animal half's shoulder.

"Oh?" Yupo questioned, looking down. She smiled and the shy look Void gave her made me want to melt all over again. I'd never get enough of seeing him smile. "What do you want?" My mate spoke softly, glancing at me with her top eyes.

Void raised his arms and made grabby hands at her. Shocked, I watched as Yupo bent down and picked him up carefully with her bottom two hands. Instead of staying in her hold, he twisted and got out of her arms by dropping onto the island. "You just wanted to be up here with the big folk, didn't you?" She asked him and he sat down in the middle of the island, his back and wings to me as he studied my mate.

"Void," I said and he turned his head to me. "That's Yupo," He turned back to Yupo, who had to attend to the food and as I said her name again, he nodded and flicked me in the chest with his wing. I knew it was intentional, but it shocked me. The level of alertness my human was showing was wonderful. I'd been working with him, but he's never really wanted to do anything and now, he was going around and demanding things. I smirked and sat silently so Void could study Yupo. He had to understand things more than an average pet so I would need to find a way to communicate the important things with him.

When the food finished, Yupo turned back with two plates, one with slightly more bacon than sausage and the other with more sausage than bacon. The plate with more bacon was mine as as Yupo handed it to me, Void followed her hand and it was like his eyes zeroed in on the plate. "Do you want this?" I asked Void, pointing at the plate, taking a step away from the island. A part of me found his nod cute, but . . . could he even have solid foods? His body wasn't made to digest solid foods so the answer to that had to be a no.

Void stood up and walked across the island, determined. He stared at me and made the sign for food and pointed at my plate. Knowing I'd have to deny him what he wanted, I shook my head. "You can't have Ekhad food, Void. No." His face fell and my heart fell with it.

He turned to Yupo and I knew he was making his cute little puppy dog face because he had with me. "If Daeus says no, I can't give you any sweetie." Yupo said, pulling her plate closer to her. She reached out and patted Void's head and he huffed. "But," she went on, smiling. Reaching into a drawer on the island, she pulled out a small, resealable bag and sat it down on the table. "I did have special treats made last weak."

"What are those, Yupo?" I asked, my voice rising. She hadn't consulted me about the treats and my main concern was how they'd affect my Bond.

"These are filled with boaberry juice and the capsule is completely dissovable." Yupo opened the bag and grabbed onto the treats. It was small capsule barely the size of Void's hand. "I had it made to taste exactly like a boaberry. When he bites into it, you'll want to make sure to have a towel on hand." Yupo smiled, laughter in her eyes as she held the treat out for Void.

Void looked at me, taken aback. Knowing that my mate would never harm my Bond, I nodded and the way he hesitantly reached for the treat was reassuring. Even though I knew he'd never take from an unknown Ekhad, I liked knowing that he'd always seek my permission first. I'd always come first to him and he'd always come first for me. And even though I still worried about the treat not being right for him, the way his face bit into the juice filled capsule made me forget all my reservations.

Right there, I decided that no matter what, my Bond would be the most spoiled Bond partner on the planet. Because if his smile wasn't proof enough, the light that burned in his eyes was enough to die for.