seven

"Jess! Get in here!" Matt screamed from downstairs.

I jog down the stairs, not realizing I was in the shortest pair of shorts at the moment. It was the hottest day of this summer yet. June 25th, a whopping one hundred and three degrees. "Yes?" I called out as I rounded the corner, seeing him on the couch, doing something on his laptop.

"Pack your bags, bring warm clothes." He explained.

"Why? Are we going somewhere?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Oh yeah, here." He threw an airplane ticket at me.

Chamonix, France.

"And exactly why are we going to France?" I asked him, curiously.

"We, all of us, are going on a snowcation."

"A snowcation? Why?" I ask curiously why we would ever want to leave sunny, warm, California.

"We are getting out of this hot hell hole, go get packed, we're leaving Monday morning."

"Thanks for the heads up!"

I didn't have any warm clothes to go snowboarding and skiing in. What do you even wear to go to France in this weather? Is it warm or cold? Well, considering he told me to bring warm clothes, I would assume it's cold.

I exit my room and knock on Garrett's door. "Garrett?"

"Yeah?" he responded.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure. Come on in." He gestured for me to walk into his room. I slowly walked into his room and looked around. Nothing changed since the last time I was in here. I walked in and he paused the video game he was playing. GTA5.

He was staring so hard at me. The tension was at an all-time high. My cheeks turned pink after I realized the outfit I had on. Spandex and a sports bra.

"Jess? Do you need something?"

I shook my head to get out of my thoughts, "You are such an asshole you know?"

"Yeah, and? Also, what do you want? Or are you just going to stare at me for an hour?" That cocky bastard.

"Ugh!" I groaned frustrated. "Are you going to France with Matt and me?"

"Why?"

"Because I want to know if you're going." Was that such a bad thing?

"What if I am?" He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

"Okay, that's cool."

"And if I'm not?"

"Even better."

"Bitch."

"Asshole."

"Thank you! And yes, I am going by the way. Is that all? If so, don't let the door hit you on the way out..."

"No. That is not all. What do you even pack? Does it look like I live in 20° weather year-round?"

"I think I know a place. Do you want me to take you?" I nodded and he stood up and grabbed his keys. He gripped my hand and dragged me down the stairs. This is what I don't understand about him. He has some weird mood changes, suddenly he's bursting with energy and happiness, and not just two minutes ago he was hateful.

We both climbed in his truck and he drove us down the highway. Who knew how many miles had passed? It was too beautiful to count miles, the sun now lowering just below the mountain rocks. The different colors of clear sunsets are totally beautiful.

He is still being sketchy. We sat in silence the entire drive. I wasn't sure what to even talk about.

We pulled into a shopping center filled with outdoor stores, like Eddie Bower, North Face, and Columbia. We walked inside and it was full of winter clothing that was all on sale. It was kind of ironic because it rarely gets below sixty degrees in the winter here. Not much a winter.

I got out, taking my wallet with me. I turned back to see if Garrett was getting out also, oh well he was still in his car.

"Ah, shit!" And of course, I would be the one person to trip over a curb. Embarrassing.

"You are one clumsy girl." Garrett barely managed to say while laughing. I looked down at my shin which now had a small scratch. No blood though, which was a good thing.

He climbed out of his truck and jogged over to me, offering a hand to pull me up. "Thank you, my night and shining armor."

I ran inside and started browsing through the selections of clothing and objects. I grabbed some snow boots which were waterproof and had fur on the inside. Snow pants. New rain or snow jacket. Pants/fleece pants. Long-sleeve warm shirts. Carhartt Overalls.

I set all my items on the checkout counter and suddenly a candy bar appears on top of my clothing.

I raise my eyebrows curiously, pointing to the candy, "Um, what is this?"

"A Milky Way?" Garrett says, acting confused.

"Yes, but why is it there? On my stuff."

"Because you're buying me it?"

"Since when?"

"Since I drove you 30 miles to this place."

I groaned, "I didn't ask you to drive me-. Whatever."

I seriously want to scream at him. There we go again with the mixed emotions. Boys are so unreadable.

I gave the cashier my credit card and she swiped it.

We drove back to town in a quiet yet comfortable silence. It was dark out now and it was still gorgeous outside. I love Los Angeles. I laid my head against the window and started to feel my eyes getting heavier every second.

This weather isn't that different from Georgia's weather though, both very hot in the summer at this time of the year. But not as humid. Instead of the one hundred degrees weather in California, it's ninety in Georgia.

I feel the car stop, but I can't tell if we're parked or just at a red light. Oh well, I don't care. I fell back asleep on the armrest, in an uncomfortable sleep.

I jumped when I suddenly woke up, we weren't in the car anymore. I was in a room.

It was pitch black out, not a light in the sky.

I started breathing heavier as I felt someone move in my bed. I turned my phone light on and realized it was Garrett.

"Garrett!" I screamed, placing my hand over my heart.

His eyes shot open and he jumped, "What?"

"Why in the world are you in here?" My heart rate was finally starting to lower again.

"Because I was tired."

"Fine, just keep yourself on your side of the bed." I fell back asleep, waking up a couple of times to turn and move.

Garrett had somehow wrapped his arm around me. I didn't move it. I felt comfortable with his arms around me.

Why does he keep ending up in my bed?