Chapter Twenty-Eight : Part Two

Edited: 5-21-24

Daeus' POV

"Alright, everyone. You know your posistions. Raywr mapped the layout of the ship before we left. I just have to get the control room. Once the ship starts counting down, you hightail it out of there. I don't care if you dropped your weapon or are missing half your tail, your only goal is to get out once the counting starts. We'll meet back up at the ship." Roo put his hand on my shoulder and gave me a small nodd. The others also nodded and I stood up. The Krovlotts would know we were here, but that was okay, because we would win, even if not all of us made it.

I took lead as we advanced to the ship. The rocky ground was dusty around us and bright green lights surrounded the ship. The hatch was open and the line of Krovlotts waiting for us was thick and filled with swarms of ugly, nasty bodies. The all clicked and snapped hungrily, awaiting our demise, their ego as high as the mountain we'd landed behind.

As they raised their weapons, we charged. Wordlessy, we moved like a well-oiled machine, our sheilds holding against their fire, but the energy draining faster than expected. We got to the first line and the Rasorine's slipped out from under the sheilds and attacked first. The sound of their carnivorous snarls filling the air. The fangs easily tearing through Krovlott hide.

But we had to advance. Deodiar and Roo took to my side as we pushed through. Our weapons were draining faster than our sheilds, but that was to be expected. The Krovlotts were dropping like flies, but for every one we took down, four took its place. Their gnashing mouths and flailing arms charged at us as if they'd been starved, but they bounced off the weakening sheilds. With every hit, the energy dropped 5%. We'd barely made it through the front of the ship.

A scream from ahead of us made me panic until I realized it was  Krovlott. Deodiar's bond ripped into the thing like it was candy. It came back to us with crazed eyes and yellow goop covered face.

That was when the sheilds went out. Both defenses were lost against the sea of Krovlotts. I was quickly separated from Deodiar and Roo and eventually lost sight of them. It was like I was being swept in by the tide, dragged further and further as Krovlotts clawed at my sides, trying to climb up onto my back. I squashed as many Krovlotts as I could, yet I could only tear through so many without injury. They started to avoid my swipes, turning me in circles, keeping me from being able to strike. They taunted me and laughed, tightening their circle around me, forcing me to keep turning, forcing me to keep moving otherwise they'd be on me and all of this would have been a waste.

One of the Krovlotts surged forward and as my claws came down upon it's head, an energy pulse struck my back hip. I clenched my teeth and wipped around, lunging forward with my front paws and smashing the bug beneath my feet. Another grabbed my tail and I bucked like a deer, my back claws connecting with soft, squishy Krovlott.

Yet it was almost no use trying to fight them. I couldn't even see the floor because there were so many Krovlotts. They were packed in tight and way more than we'd expected. My lower shoulders were aching from all of the lunging I did and my back hips were screaming at all the blows I couldn't block. The air inside the ship was tight and hot, restricting my breathing like this ever tightening circle of Krovlotts restricted my movements.

"Help!"

A scream tore through the air and I looked up, momentarily distracted. A white blur raced across the corner of my vision and as if in slow motion, I watched as nearly 43 Krovlotts followed Icicle, grabbing her hips and dragging her down. There was nothing I could do as the moving mass of yellow and brown consumed the white of her fur and her dying screams met my ears like a siren that wouldn't shut off.

My heart felt like it stopped as the roar of a Rasorine who'd lost their Bond peirced the air. The small creature launched itself into the fray, a ball of fury as it attacked. The death of Icicle hurt like I'd been run over and I roared, something my kind has not done since our primalistic days. My head spun as the Krovlotts cornered me and I couldn't do anything but defend and block their oncoming blows. Everything rational was leaving my brain as all I could think of was Void. My Void, my Bond. This was for him. All of this was for him and it couldn't be for nothing.

With renewed strength, I sunk down to the ground and gathered all of my energy and weight into my back legs. Like a spring, I launched forward, hands and front paws grabbing and shredding anything in my way. When my feet touched the ground, I was a nothing but rabid as I tore at everything and anything that touched me. My sides were heavily bleeding, but it was as if I was barely injured. Every Krovlott I encountered fell at my paws, many of them too young to fight properly.

And when I saw doors closing, I sped up and lept forward, barely making it through the doors. The sound of fighting faded with the closed doors and instead the room was cold and foggy. I growled as I stalked forward, my tail sweeping the ground as I paced forward, my eyes zeroing in on the lone figure at the back of the room.

At the last minute, the Krovlott turned and raised a weapon. It fired and hit me straight in the shoulder, but my front paws were already crashing down on the leader's head, sending his blood and guts flying everywhere as he squished like a pile of mud.

I was all alone in the room, bleeding and running on pain. My ears picked up the sound of the control panel and I stumbled blindly towards it. My hands shot out as my paws tripped over themselves and my chest crashed heavily into the panel. Sparks flew from the weak metal and I pushed myself up, forcing myself to stand on worn, bloodied paws.

A large red button flashed at me from under a blackened case. I flipped the case open and a voice rang out in the quiet room.

'Are you ready for self-destruct?' The machine asked in a soft voice. The beeping that followed let me know that the machine was awaiting my answer.

I pressed the button, leaning all my weight into that one push. Of course I was ready. There was no going back.

'Self-destruct will being in Five . . .'

I staggered away from the panel, the pain deciding that now was a good time to hit me at full force. The amount of blood that I'd lost nearly consumed me as everything started to spin.

'Four . . .'

My front paws tripped over a small crack in the floor and I crashed into the metal.

'Three . . .'

Everything was spinning. Everything was dark. The only thing on my mind right now was getting back to Void, but I knew I wouldn't. I tried to push myself up onto my paws, but I could barely get up to my knees before I collapsed back to the floor, unable to support my own weight.

'Two . . .'

I pulled myself into a ball, barely able to breath at this point as the blood pooled into my lungs. I couldn't even raise my head from the quickly heating metal of the floor. I would die tonight, but that was okay. I wouldn't see Void again, but that was okay. This was all for him. This was always just for him. He needed to be safe. I could make him safe. 'Taurikie . . . ' I thought, my eyes closing. 'Please let my Void be okay. Please keep him safe and let him know love and kindness.'

'Please make this all okay.'

'One.'