EPILOGUE

"You know, I really hate the summertime," I stated, stepping out of the SUV and shutting the door. We were on a case in Texas, in the middle of August, and even with the car AC blasting, I felt like I couldn't escape the heat.

"And why's that?" Spencer questioned, walking around to the driver's side to meet me, shielding us from view of prying eyes inside the station.

"Because it's too hot outside for me to wear one of your cardigans." I toyed with one of the buttons on his sage green cardigan – my favorite. "I honestly don't know how you do it, but I think you wear them just to taunt me."

"Your icy personality always keeps me cool, my love," he teased, looking me straight in the eyes when he said it, but being sure to add my nickname at the end to soften the blow.

"Ouch!" I playfully nudged his torso away from mine, but that only made him push me up against the SUV, trapping me between himself and the hot metal. Despite his words, I don't think I could've been smiling any wider.

One of his hands reached up to hold my face, the other keeping its tight grip on my waist. His smile rivaled my own as he leaned down to kiss me. I'll be honest, the kiss was absolutely terrible at first. Well, if you could call it a kiss, I guess. It was just our stupid smiling faces pressed against each other.

Finally, though, we kissed for real. We had been together for almost a year and a half, counting the months we affectionately term 'the arrangement.' If I broke the kiss to ask Spence right now, I know he would be able to tell me down to the minute without even checking his watch. And still, after all of this time, he gave me butterflies with every kiss, every smile, every word.

Feeling his soft lips against mine stole the breath from my lungs. The way they moved so intentionally, and so in sync with his tongue was dizzying. I wish I could keep kissing him for the rest of eternity.

He pulled back but didn't let up on the force he was using to pin me against the SUV. I opened my eyes, and they immediately flicked down to his lips, covered in my pinkish-nude lipstick.

"Oh, Spence..." I chuckled, "...look what we did." I brought my hand up and tried to wipe it off the best I could, but it refused to budge. I wet my thumb on my tongue and thankfully, I got most of it off. They wouldn't notice the rest, I'm sure.

While I was cleaning the evidence of myself off of his face, he stared down at me with complete devotion, complete love. I crumbled under the way I felt his eyes on me.

I finished and looked up at him, asking "how do I look?"

"Like the love of my life," he responded confidently as if that was the only possible answer to my question.

"Okay, but is my lipstick smudged?" I nagged.

He shook his head and released his grip on me, instead focusing it on holding my hand. We left the safe bubble of behind the SUV and walked into the station, dropping our hands as we entered.

Everyone on the team obviously knew that we were dating and had been for quite some time now, but we still had to remain professional at work – especially in front of the local police.

"Wow, pretty boy taking his nickname to a whole new level. That shade looks good on you, Reid," Morgan teased as we met them in the conference room. JJ and Prentiss giggled at Morgan's comment.

Our faces simultaneously turned a bright shade of red. "Sorry," I mouthed when he turned to look at me. I really did think I got all of it, but I guess it was more noticeable than I anticipated.

"Reid, go clean yourself up," Hotch ordered as he shot both of us a warning look.

Spencer left the room, tail between his legs, to go to the bathroom and wipe off my remaining lipstick on his face.