8. The Storm

Zane:

🦊 F O X 🦊

🦊 F O X 🦊

Bryce held my hand as we half-heartedly made our way to the living room. Our palms were sweating and sticking together. But we held on tight.

My eyes scanned the room and landed on Wren, who was sitting on one of the loveseats next to a guy in a black hooded jacket, his black skinny jeans were faded and ripped at the knees. He had glossy black hair, his bangs fell forward and covered his eyes as his head and shoulders were tilted down towards the floor. I couldn't make out any of his features, he was practically curled in on himself.

Vance was sitting in his usual chair with a pensive smile on his handsome face. My heart skipped faltering at the sight of him. He was our rock. Our safe haven.

Fitz, Connor and Jace were on the couch. Milo walked over to Jace and was pulled down onto his lap.

Bryce gently nudged me down on the loveseat and put his shoulder over my own, squaring them. I'm not sure if he did it on purpose but he was putting himself in front of me, blocking me. I felt protected, my heart clenched in realization.

Once we were settled, Vance started talking. He was going over our schedule for the next week. I couldn't concentrate on what he was saying, so I just sat there, staring at the strange guy next to Wren. They were total opposites physically, Wren was petite, he wore brightly colored clothes; an internal glow beaming out from within him. Then there was Zane, even though he was haunched over, I could tell he was taller, his legs were long and muscular, sticking out farther than Wrens. He was all dark and brooding.

He didn't seem like he was paying attention either. He made minimal movements, long spindly fingers tapping on his bare legs where his jeans were torn every now and then. Head down, never looking up.

Bryce shifted next to me, resting his heavy hand on my knee bringing me back to the present conversation at hand.

"Tonight we'll be ordering pizza and wings for dinner, please take the time to freshen up and meet in the dinning room at 7." Vance's voice encouraged warmly.

Vance, Wren and Zane stayed seated while us others left the room.

I followed everyone upstairs, we congregated in Fitz's room. He seemed especially shaken up. Fingers trembling through his rich auburn hair as he pushed it back and away from his gorgeous green eyes.

"This just doesn't feel right," he whimpered out, "something's wrong and I can't put my finger on it."

"What do you mean, baby?", Connor cooed, "it's just Zane, he's not going to hurt you or any of us. This is who he is. He goes through the motions, not really being there." He said quietly, wrapping his arms around Fitz's neck and pulling him into his broad chest.

"Yeah, I guess." Fitz murmured out against his neck.

"What's his story?" I inquired. My feet were on Jace's lap. I was laying down on Fitz's bed and he was sitting up. He was rubbing the balls of my feet with a light pressure.