Dark Sleep

This was a story I read and kinda....enjoyed it.😅
#######
Dark Sleep is a scary story about three girls who spend the weekend in a cabin in the woods and learn about a creepy urban legend.

Samantha had two best friends named Jenny and Amber. Her father was taking her on a weekend vacation and she invited them to come along. Her family owned a cabin in the woods and on Friday evening, her father drove the girls up there.

"See that lake?" asked Samantha when they arrived. "That's Lake Samantha. My dad grew up here. He loved it so much, he named me after it."

That night, after they had unpacked their things, the three girls sat around and thought of ways to amuse themselves.

"Does anyone have any spooky stories?" asked Amber.

I have one," said Jenny. "It's a true story, too. It happened to a friend of a friend mine. She was babysitting these two little kids one night. She's sitting in the dark by herself watching TV and the phone rings. She goes over and answers it and hears a voice on the other end breathing really heavy and it says, Have you checked on the children?"

"Jenny, come on!" Amber interrupted. "Everybody's heard that one. That's the lamest scary story ever! Does anyone else have a story? One that's actually true?"

"I know one," Samantha said. "About 10 minutes hike from here, there's an old broken-down house. We passed it on the way up here. It's out in the middle of nowhere, tucked away off a narrow little side-road. A long time ago, a man lived there. His family were really wealthy and they owned hundreds of acres of land around here.

This man met a simple country girl from a simple country town and they fell in love. His family wasn't too happy about it. They didn't think the girl was good enough for him, but he ignored them. He was an independent type of guy and he went off and built a little house on a chunk of their land, out in the middle of nowhere.

He married this girl and everything was wonderful. They had a daughter and eventually they had a son. This is where the story starts to go bad. Their son was sick. Not physically but mentally. He was sick in the head. He wasn't mentally disabled or anything. He was just a little off.

By the time he was nine years old, he became too much for his parents to handle, throwing temper tantrums, erratic sleeping patterns, disappearing into the woods and hiding, that kind of thing.
Not knowing what to do about his son, the man turned to his family for help.

His parents had the boy taken away. They sent him to a place deep in the woods. It wasn't an insane asylum, but it catered to people with special needs, if you know what I mean. His parents thought it was for the best.

Over time, the family got used to not having him around. They gradually stopped visiting him. They functioned as if they had never even had a son and everything went back to being wonderful again.

Eight years later, the boy, who was about 16 or 17 at this time, managed to escape from the hospital. The staff did a search, but he was nowhere to be found. His family was notified and they were devastated. They were worried for his safety. He had been alone in the wilderness for weeks and he was probably dead.

But the boy wasn't dead. One night, he found his way back home. He crept into his house and, one by one, he slaughtered his entire family... His father, his mother, his sister... All of them chopped to pieces.

With the blood still dripping from his axe, he disappeared into the woods. When the grisly remains of his family were discovered a few days later, the townsfolk in the surrounding area were horrified. The police tried to find the boy, but it was no use. To this day he has never been found.