Chapter Zero // Serveillance Surveying

I glanced over at the computer screen, and read the transcript of the audio-log I had already listened to tens of times over and over again

The night before the killing game began, the implant in Nycas' head began recording, and we were sent this transcript for some reason.

It's the only think we've received, other than the broadcast of the killing game itself. We would have gone in much earlier, but there's a non-zero chance that this compound was just as rigged to blow as Despair Avenue. We didn't want to risk killing any survivors.

Opening...KIMIKA_LOG_AUDIOLOG_001_07302030_1124PM_N8XYB.mp3

???: Ah...it's really about to begin...

???: Yep. Tell your friend thanks for driving the limo before she leaves. And give her my Kudos for managing to fake a Limo drivers' license.

???: Already have.

???: Good. Okay, grab her feet, I'll get her head.

[RUSTLING]

???: Just...put her in the lab.

???: Well, she can't wake up on her own if she's been tied up.

???: How about...you wake up with her then? Just blindfold yourself or whatever.

???: Good idea. It's better for us to wake up spread apart anyways.

???: Yeah. Just remember the codeword for everything being okay.

???: Yeah, yeah, Altair. You say altair, and if everything's okay I compliment you on your choice of favourite star. If something went wrong I tell you that my favourite star is the sun. We've been over it hundreds of times.

???: Okay. Good luck, Nycas.

Nycas: We don't need luck, Kotomi. We have what we need, and that's each other.

Kotomi Tokushige: Yeah...you're right.

Nycas: I'll see you when we wake up tomorrow.

Kotomi Tokushige: Yeah. See you then.

[DOOR CLICK]

[RUSTLING]

???: Nycas.

Nycas: Huh? Who's there?!

???: It's me. Kimika.

Nycas: What? But you should be restricted to dreams...and you shouldn't be able to think for yourself.