Chapter Thirteen

Author's Note: do you want to see Alaric's POV of the past events??? I may have something in mind ;)
Again, I'm sorry the chapters have been so spaced out recently, I've been having trouble with motivation. Now that I have a couple reoccuring readers, I'll try to get chapters out daily again. Thanks for your support!

~•~

My eyes close to a crescent, gentle beating of the wind against my lashes. The Moon illuminated the spines of dry leaves, their quiet rustles giving serenity to the forests atmosphere. The night sky flooded in pinpoints, the stars of passed wolves souls piercing through the darkness.

I have almost forgotten about the wolf in my vicinity and our moment of being linked as a pair. I realized true relaxation does that to you; it makes you forget and you become a singularity of the future, instead of the past.

Distant sounds of a sulking wolf comes toward me. It pulls me back into the moment, to which I decide to flee. I follow the path to civilization, sprinting back into town.

Before I exit the line of trees drawn between the forest and pack territory, I catch that enriching scent, letting me know I'm close to the estate. I can tell I'm here when I see the ginormous shimmer of the porch lights, shining over the leaves of grown out ferns.

I make my way closer to the property, deciding I should first shift back, not knowing how welcoming wolves are inside. I talk myself through the process, calculating in my mind where I have to go, when I'm back in my normal state.

It takes a few tries before I get it, working up the power and leverage over myself to force my body into a wreckage of pain.

My bare skin stings from the suddenness of the cold. Nevertheless, I make my way directly toward the front doors. It takes a minute of stammering around but I eventually make it, whipping open the brass door handles.

Having made this trek a few times before with Alina, I remember which direction to head towards.

As swift as possible, I make my way up the curved stairs, to the right, down a hall, and into my room.

Despite having just felt the best feeling in my entire lifetime, the relief that floods through my body when I enter a completely familiar area, is undeniable.

The door closes behind me at the will of my own hands, probably leaving dirt in my place, from my time outside.

All at once, the aftermath of my adventure hits me and my face is left in a twist of anguish. Small tears start in the corners of my eyes, forming heavier and harder the longer I hold it in.

Finally they all come out in a sigh, a single sob escapes which opens the gates to all of the emotions I've bottled over my lifetime.

My first time being truly free in my twenty years, being alone and free and independent, in an uncontrolled atmosphere filled with life. It overwhelms me, shock of finally experiencing what everybody preaches about. I lean against the door, my body unable to support itself. I slide down with my hands against my face, sobbing into them.

Being captured by an alpha has been just another punch at my devastating life, but I did not expect my freedom to be the first time I cried since I was a child.

When I think about it, it seems fitting. Hurt and destruction has been the normality of my life, not knowing anything but. This has been something different, something I can actually control. A place where I can be happy when I want to, I can decide for myself what I do.

My tears lull me into an altered conscious, my eyes beginning to feel heavy and my head drooping to my knees.

I feel peaceful as my sniffles subside into low breathing, and my heart slows to a resting pace.

The last thing I noticed before I slipped into a different state was the same scent from the woods; a soothingly deep, sweet scent.

~

I stir awake, my head lifted slightly by my fluffed pillow. My exposed body lies across the bed, all of the covers beneath me. A cloud of confusion blankets my mind as I try and piece together how I got here.

I'm taken out of my mind as there is a knock on the door, followed by light footsteps. I quickly cover myself, permitting them to enter.

"Alina!" I say as I take in her scent that pools into the room with her. I spring up in the bed, excited to have her around again. She greets me with the same energy, audibly happier. I hope her time off wasn't as bad as my time in her absence.

I was honestly unsure if I'd see her again as punishment from my recent disobedience. As of right now, it feels like I've been left unpunished. I wonder for a second if anyone even knows, but with the amount of pack members watching as I tested their alphas capability, the entire population must know by now.

I beat around the topic as we converse, waiting for her to mention it first. I feel ashamed of my outburst, despite how good I've been feeling since. I know this won't be the last of what I hear from the Alpha, he will indefinitely have something in mind for my penalization.

When my wolf realized she was sitting next to our mates Luna, she completely took over and ran. Then when we were met with our mates anger, her little heart broke and all that was left was her instinctual rage. I believe she truly hated her mate for taking someone else in her place, in that moment.

The thought clenches my heart, and hers too, I'm sure. I know she can feel my sadness for her.

Alina's voice trails off, the silence in the room coaxing me to speak. I was dying to tell her about my night, and so I did.

"I shifted," I blurted, almost hoping she didn't hear. I never told her about my inability to shift, but I know now I'm wholly able. "I'm sure you heard by now. . ." I continued, telling her everything. She listened to my story, stopping me to ask questions every now and then.

"You really challenged him like that?" She asked in awe. I barely believed it myself, I just nodded.

"You're fearless, Monet."
.
.
.
.
.
.
Word Count: 1094