Chapter 19

Is it wrong for you to be glad that someone was betrayed by all the people of their past?

Ryder pondered this question for a short time, given his own reaction to Jamie's admission. He didn't necessarily want her to miss the people from her old pack, because that meant she'd be sad about not being allowed to see them. Even with his status there's no guarantee that they can overturn the banishing, so it's probably for the best that she doesn't like anyone from there anymore. This way he doesn't have to worry about her choosing her old pack over him, or her being upset because of her old past.

"Uh...you realize we're back, right?" Jamie asks, snapping him out of his stupor. He quickly looked around, confirming that they were at the pack house, parked in the driveway. He didn't even remember parking, "You just kinda sat there for a minute, hands still on the steering wheel and everything," She informs him, looking a bit off-put.

"Right," He took his hands off the wheel once he realized she was right. Trying not to look even dumber, he unbuckled himself and stepped out as Jamie did the same. He couldn't be sure if he succeeded, but there was always hope.

She laughed, "Wow, you are not good at this!"

"Well sorry I've been saving myself for my mate instead of getting tons of pointless dating experience," He defends.

"Apology accepted," She called over her shoulder, taking off her jacket.

"Wait," He jogged to catch up once he realized she wasn't heading towards the door, "Where are you going?"

"I'm going for a run, Artemis hasn't been out since I was banished," She tells him, "You can do whatever you want," While she had shifted when running away, Jamie was still the one in control. To have a healthier relationship with your wolf, you have to let them take over once in a while and hope they don't eat anything they shouldn't.

"If I can do whatever I want," He smirked, continuing to follow her while she was trying to find a place to undress. These human clothes would be torn to shreds if she shifted in them, "Then may I join you?" Enzo had been desperate to meet her wolf, who he now knew was named Artemis, since they first saw her.

She looked him over, "I don't think I could stop you from coming along if I wanted to."

Ryder took that as a yes, immediately shifting given his shift-friendly clothes. Enzo quickly pushed Ryder to the back of his own mind, watching excitedly as she went behind a tree to preserve her clothes. The wolf considered going after her, wanting to see what was rightfully his without the irritating cover clothing provided, but decided against it. He wanted her to willingly open up to them, and getting a sneak peek as to what'll come later will only tempt him more. Instincts or not, he didn't want to make her hate him.

He sat up when she came out from behind the tree; she was gorgeous. Her wolf had a white underbelly and reddish-brown fur, with golden eyes that made him wonder why he ever bothered to look at anyone else. Enzo barked at her, trotting over and nudging her slightly with his nose, before taking off. He heard her follow, his wolfish smirk disappeared though as she bolted past him.

Accepting the silent challenge, he sped up, steadily closing the distance between them. She suddenly split off, and he had to slow significantly to go after her. The delay caused him to lose sight of her, so he tried to follow her scent. Before he could get very far into the trail he was tackled, causing him and his attacker to roll over a few times. He retaliated by laying on top of the other wolf, pinning it to the ground. Instead of closing his jaws around its throat, the universal "back off or I'll kill you" sign, he simply licked the other's ear.

He had recognized the sparks that arose when she pounced on him, and had no intention of harming his own mate. That didn't mean he'd let her win their play fight though. She squirmed underneath him, trying to find a way out. It didn't help that his wolf form seemed to way a ton while she might as well have hollow bones with the way she was getting crushed. Eventually, she gave up, resting her head on her paws. Also tired from their run, Enzo moved some of his weight off her and purred affectionately.

For a while, they just layed there,enjoying each other's company. There was no telling when Jamie or Ryder would take back control and separate, so they were going to take advantage of this time. Footsteps interrupted whatever moment they may have had, and Ryder quickly pushed Enzo back to take over again. The wolf was more than ready to tear someone's throat out for their invasion, but Ryder wasn't going to let him murder one of his packmates.

It was obvious they weren't a rogue, but he still kept his body over hers in a defensive stance. For all he knew, the pack member might think that Jamie's a rogue, so whoever it is might show up guns blazing. He relaxed slightly when Chris stepped out into the open, still in human form. Ryder got off of Jamie, or rather Artemis because her eyes were still golden, not bothering to shift back yet. If he wanted to talk then he had to explain why he had intruded.

"So that's why you were blocking everyone out..." He mutters to himself, "The Alpha has ordered everyone to stay in pack boundaries until further notice, children and the elderly aren't allowed past the Blaine's house."

Now that got his attention. He quickly shifted back, not wanting to leave Jamie out of the conversation, "Why? Are there more human teens trespassing? That hardly warrants keeping everyone near the center of the territory."

"No, there are some rogues that took down one of the patrols. Alpha Mason is organizing a group to go handle them but they're using scent blockers, so there's no telling if any of them will break off for a sneak attack of sorts," He explains, "He wants you to be there, as a 'learning experience' of sorts."

He glanced down at Jamie, who was now back in control and standing, "Okay, can you make sure Jamie gets back? She'll probably want to pick up her clothes, but they're right next to the house so it shouldn't be a problem. Also, this goes without saying, but if you look when she's changing you're dead."

She glared up at him, yeah, okay, talk about me like I'm not here. If she could shift back without flashing both of them then she'd be cussing him out right now for babying her. She suspected her imaginary arguments would fall on deaf ears though; there's a good chance he won't let her help no matter what she says.

That was fine though, she had no reservations about ignoring his orders. 

A/N: Uh oh, that can't be good *evil laughter*

Edit: Just realized I wasn't supposed to upload this today so to get back on schedule the next chapter isn't coming out until the 22nd. Sorry XD