Chapter 6

When the time did come and we had to spend three horrid hours deciding what to put where, making lists and taking measures, my aching muscles looked back on that moment of anticipation and scoffed at it.

But if I had to be honest, it had been fun this time. Sort of, anyway.

“Hey, Mom,” I called out, closing the door when I arrived home and leaning back against it for a moment.

She abandoned diner preparations and peeked out of the kitchen, surprised. “You’re home early,” she said.

I hadn’t detoured to stare at nothing while listening to Trevor; that’s why. I figured I had gotten to see him and hear him at school so… why risk the bushes?

“We finished a little early with the theater group,” I lied. “This year’s going to be a riot.”

“What was the play again?”

“Lady Windermere’s Fan.”

I had told her before, of course. Of course, she’d forgotten.

She frowned a bit. “Will the school council approve of that one? It’s all about scandal, if I remember it right.”

“Why does everyone but me know the damn play?”

“Language, Alice.”

“Sorry.” I sighed, dropping my bag on the kitchen table and plopping down to watch Mom preparing some weird Norwegian salad. “I have to stay after school tomorrow.” I tried to be as nonchalant as possible when I told her that one bit of news.

“Something happened?”

“No, not at all. It’s for the play. There’s this family who’s going to lend us the decor, and Professor Hedford asked us to go to their place and select the furniture. We were taking measurements and deciding that stuff today.”

“I can hardly believe he’d trust his pupils to do that! The man is such a perfectionist.”

I shrugged. “Well, he did give us a list in the end. And anyway, I think the owner in question will have something to say about what’s taken out of his home, no?”

“Mmmhmm.” She made a non-committal sound while she cut a boiled egg in even slices. “Isn’t it a bit too soon to start worrying about decor? I would have thought that you’d do the rehearsing first and that you’d get ‘the real thing’ together just a week or two before opening day.

It was true. The fancy stuff never got done this early on. We usually spent the semester rehearsing with jeans and whatever props we could find, including brooms and empty burlap bags. The fact that part of the decor would be moved in already was mind-boggling, but I waved it off. I wanted those settees and those low tables, and furthermore… I wanted Trevor to be a fixture of our routine for the next week. Mr. Hedford wanted him to set up the sound, so he’d be hanging around, finding places for the cables and speakers, and showing us how the “original soundtrack” went along.

He’d have no reason to be there if not as sound tech, so I desperately wanted to start putting the stage together.

Rather, I wanted his music.

“Mom, is it a problem?” I asked when the silence stretched on for too long. Attack always was the best defense mechanism.

She looked uncomfortable, as I had hoped she would.

“No, honey, you know I want you to be with your friends and enjoy your theater group. I just found it odd.”

“So you thought I lied.”

“No. I was thinking that we know nothing about this house you’re supposed to visit tomorrow.”

“I won’t go alone, Mom. Stella and Alex and Ashley will come for sure. And Ashley will rope the guys from the football team to help move around the weight, so it’ll be an army of us!”

“Is that supposed to help your case?” In spite of the words, her eyes shone bright and a hint of a smile curled her lips. She knew the bunch of us together were more likely to cause some mischief, but she loved that I always came home laughing and breathless from those adventures.

I thought she did, anyway.

“There’s no fooling you, Sherlock. Of course we intend to wreak havoc, but I promise it’ll look like an accident and the cops won’t find a single clue.”

She grabbed the giant bowl of salad, still smirking. “I’ll hold you to that. Go and get your father, will you?”

I got up, stood outside the kitchen door, and bellowed, “Dad!” Then I sat back down with a smile, ignoring Mom’s disapproving look, and started to eat as fast as I could without losing my manners in the process.

I wanted to be done soon so I could call Stella to plan for tomorrow.

**Don't forget to vote, comment and share**