The Torch Passes

!

3.

Uchiha Sasuke lay humbled and broken, unable to move. He could only watch as the opponent that had broken him and the comrade who had humbled him fought for the fate of Konoha. Naruto - the dead last - was unleashing an unholy torrent of ninjutsu at the monster that Gaara had become. Hundreds of bunshin, swarming and firing off combination ninjutsu towards the sand demon, causing ripples and waves of power to wash over the forest, over him.

The demon responded in kind. Cackling, wild laughter belied the devastating nature of the torrents of air that it fired at Naruto. They tore through the forest, ripping trees from the ground with consummate, sickening ease.

He couldn't even find it in himself to be angry - not any more. His eyes could pick out the practice in Naruto's movements, the experience the quality of his ninjutsu proved. Uzumaki Naruto was what Sasuke strove to be - he had worked himself to the bone and reforged himself into a true shinobi. The kind of warrior that could issue justice.

Becoming a shinobi had the cruellest of lessons for Sasuke. He had been placed on a pedestal that he hadn't earned by those around him with such conviction, he'd begun to believe it himself. That you had been arrogant was a lesson shinobi usually only learnt in death.

He had been lucky enough to have a team that meant he'd lived both of his brushes with it. They had become a strange little family, Team 7. Sakura who had begun by fawning over him but through her own struggles was now beginning to forge herself into a true Kunoichi. Sai, who seemed emotionless but had somehow managed to connect with him in a way that nobody else had.

They had put their lives on the line to save him and he knew he would do the same for them. The only thing more unconscionable than allowing Itachi to escape justice for slaughtering his birth family would be allowing the same to happen to his adoptive one. They had lit a match in the shadow, a light so faint and precious that even a faint breath could extinguish it.

He would keep it burning, even if it cost him his life. Even if it cost him his revenge.

Footsteps arrived beside him and he tensed, ready to use the last moments of his life to combat a new foe but relaxed when he saw who it was.

"Kami, Sasuke - what the hell happened?"

It was Ino, bruised and breathless but otherwise unharmed. With her was the Inuzuka girl - Hana. Good. They finished the siblings. Now we just have to hope Naruto can hold off Gaara until-

He coughed, warm blood hitting the ground beside him.

"Right," Hana said, business-like. "Let's get you stable so we can help Naruto."

"No!" He spluttered with such force it brought on a coughing fit that sent pain lancing through him. "Any of us would be in the way! Take a look - they're fighting on another level right now."

Both glanced towards the fight and he could see the familiar mix of fear and helplessness as they watched Naruto go up against the monstrosity. He had felt it and he knew they did, too.

"We can't just let him fight Gaara alone like that - I know Naruto's the best one for it but-"

"Leave me," he said, with far more conviction than he felt. "Go and find Jonin help for him - it's the only way we can help now."

The words burned at his pride as he said them, hurting almost as much as his actual injury. But his pride had held him back for too long. It had tainted his thinking for far too long. Out of any of them, he could have been of use in this fight. He could have made a difference. Naruto was fighting to protect him because he was too weak and full of pride to even listen.