Chapter 1

Severus walked into the great hall as it started to fill with students, fresh from the summer break. Severus sneered at all of them, wishing he had just stayed at Spinner's end with his books and his thoughts, without foul children all around him. He looked up at the teacher's table, which he was heading to and his eyes scanned it lazily until they fell onto you. Severus started slightly, he had never seen you before. You were obviously new or they would not be smiling as much. Severus snorted slightly, getting to the table and sitting down next to the mystery person, he kept his eyes straight ahead, not really wanting to engage in any conversation until he had at least had two fire whiskeys. Severus however listened, you seemed to be talking to Minerva about things, his ears pricked up and he froze. Your voice sounded so much like his mother. Severus turned in shock but said nothing, letting your voice fill his ears.

When your voice stopped he frowned, longing for more. Severus had forgotten what you had been talking about with Minerva. Something about making sure you knew where everything was. Your voice however stirred something in him, he wanted to hear your voice more, your voice, even for the short amount of time he had heard it, made him feel safe like his mother's voice always did.

"Hello?" Severus heard. He gulped and looked at you. "you must be" you looked inquisically.

"Severus" he muttered.

"I am so happy to be here" you said, smiling.

Severus grunted something, he wanted you to carry on talking but he had no idea what to say, his heart was beating widely.

"I always dreamed of being a defence against the dark arts teacher" you said dreamily.

Severus nodded slightly, his eyes lingering on you, noticing how dreamy you had become, your eyes slightly sparking. Although your voice was like his mothers, you did not look like her, yet you were very beautiful and it made him want to know you further.

Dumbledore stood and went to the podium, starting his speech but your ears pricked up when you heard your name. "Now to introduce our new Defence against the dark arts teacher Professor (l/n)" you stood after being tapped by Minerva and smiled at the students before sitting, slightly embarrassed with the whole school gawping at you. Your hands wrung with worry slightly but soon the students forgot you as the food appeared on the tables.

You took some food off the plates and started to eat, not noticing the eyes of Severus still lingering on your face. His eyes were like a magnet to your face, finding you like eye candy. The way your hair fell around your face and the way you slightly smiled. Severus looked away, he should pull himself together, not fall for a pretty new teacher who happened to have a similar voice to his late mother. He focused on the food in front of him and took a swig of watered-down wine, he grimaced, remembering the policy of alcohol at Hogwarts for teachers. Quietly he slipped out a flask and poured whiskey into the cup before withdrawing his flask and taking another sip of the mix, it tasted better and he took a swig.

Severus looked back at you to see you still eating a few things and sipping what seemed like pumpkin juice. Severus wondered what you were like, maybe he could use legitimus on you, to discover your secrets and your thoughts.

Soon the feast was over and you stood, heading to your room, it was on the second floor and looked over to the black lake and to the mountains beyond. It was decorated with your house colours and had a study which led to a small kitchen, sitting room and bedroom. It was cosy and warm which suited you nicely.

You wondered about Severus who sat next to you, he seemed intriguing and you wished to get to know him, though he did not seem much of a talker. You finished unpacking, this thought going around your mind. You shrugged it off and got ready for the next day, putting all the resources into piles before getting into bed, snuggling under the covers. Your pillow smells of perfume and your covers warm which let you relax, happy you were at Hogwarts.