Chapter 16: Best Date

I run my finger over the rim of empty glass as I wait for my date to arrive. Finally Friday evening is here... But Raphael isn't.

We decided to meet at Sling Delight, a small rooftop restaurant which is only a few blocks away from college. It's a hotspot among students, especially for couples and people on dates. I've been here lot of times with Jenny because Rachel, her roommate, works here part-time. Having so many couples in love surround you when you've been a single-bean all your life isn't fun, but their fish tacos and salmon make up for the agony. Plus the discount that Jenny bags because of Rachel also pulls me back.

Sling Delight serves a killer coffee too in the mornings and evenings. So Raphael can keep his promise to buy me a coffee. If he shows up that is...

"So how late is he?"

I look up from the glass and find Rachel giving me a sympathetic smile. She's in her waitress uniform with white shirt, black trousers and an apron wrapped around her waist with restaurant's logo. Her blonde hair is tied in a ponytail. She transfers water from the jug she is holding to my glass. She wasn't here before, so I'm guessing her shift has just started.

"Almost an hour," I say after looking at my phone. Now it is getting embarrassing sitting here alone waiting for my date to show up.

"Did you call him?"

"He didn't pick up."

"That sucks."

I frown, realizing I'm probably about to be stood up.

Rachel bites her lip thoughtfully, before sighing. "Okay, this is probably not a good time to say this and I'm not trying to throw you off, just a little... I don't know, warning?" She gives a nervous smile. "I see Raphael here often, and every time he's with a different girl. When Jenny told me you are going out with him, I was little wary. So just be careful. He's a fast guy."

"I already know Rachel." I try to smile to ease her. "I'm just here to have fun. Nothing more... But seeing that my date hasn't arrived yet, I think that's off the table too."

"I think it's his loss. He's missing out on you looking so yummy." She gushes. "You always dress so nice Harper. It makes me want to snatch you up and keep you as my personal stylist."

A light blush coats my cheek at her compliment. I'm wearing the pink dress that Jenny recommended. It's a shift dress with broad straps and checked pattern, and reaches right above my knees. I have paired it with white sandals and a small pendent. Makeup is light but my rose lipstick enhances the look. My short brown hair is also curled at the ends.

It's been so long since I've been on a date. Anyone can see I'm excited for this one. Or was...

"Thanks," I say to Rachel, "and I'll appreciate a call if you ever want me rather than snatching me up."

She shakes her head. "Tell you what, if he doesn't show up those fish tacos are on me. No way you're leaving this place empty stomach on my watch."

I grin at her, masking my hurt. "Say no further. I'm taking you up on that offer." It warms my heart that she's trying to cheer me up.

"Or maybe you won't need to," Rachel adds, looking behind me.

I turn around and find Raphael rushing in. He spots me and quickly makes his way toward the table.

"I'll be leaving then." Rachel walks away just as Raphael reaches the table.

"Thank God you're still here. I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." He chants as he sits at the seat across me.

"Take a breath first," I say and pass him my glass of water when he eyes it. He gulps it down in one go.

Raphael is dressed well in a linen turquoise shirt with top buttons undone and navy blue jeans. His hair is loosely tied back. He would look picture perfect if not for the wet patches on his underarms and sweat droplets on his forehead.