NINETEEN

Word Count: 1727

Stace delivered us, including Eryk and my family, to an estate he argues is my own.

I don't believe it for a second, or at the very least, I don't accept it. The place is beautiful, even in the shadows that have settled with night. It's not nearly as big as Stace's, but it is larger than Eryk's, stretching out widely at the edge of a cliff. It's close to Stace's, which is by design, I imagine, but it doesn't matter. Even though he is my mate, I can't accept something as incredible as this.

Stace lingers for only a few moments before he disappears, leaving us all to allocate our own rooms, everything already furnished, a dresser filled with clothes that I imagine I'll fit, thanks to the magic dwelling in this place. I try to ignore it, but I can sense it in the air, controlled by Stace no doubt.

Clambering into bed, I tumble into sleep almost immediately, thankfully not haunted by thoughts of my new mate, of what is going to transpire between us. Even my dreams remained void of anything, which has been rare for me.

However, I wake early, sun streaming in through a slit in the curtain. Groaning quietly, I drag myself from the bed, changing swiftly before walking out into the living room, hoping I can sit and stare out at the sea, and admittedly, think of Stace and my future in this realm, however I'm interrupted by the sight of Eryk standing in front of the large glass doors, staring out at the ocean.

I hesitate, blankly staring at his back as I consider turning around walking out, unsure if I want to start a conversation with the elusive, somewhat frightening man. He glances over his shoulder, probably sensing my proximity, looking me up and down before he motions for me to come stand beside him.

I swallow. "I want to be alone."

"You know I can't allow that," he murmurs quietly. I know what he means by that; he isn't going to leave me here, in my own home alone, not when Stace has given him very strict instructions. Even with my family here, I'm in danger of those that dwell here getting to me. I'm too tired to protest, knowing that as long as Eryk is here, Lei and my mother are protected, and that's the most important thing.

"How much does he pay you?" I ask curiously, not expecting to answer, but I want to get an idea of how far Stace is willing to go to protect me, and maybe how much danger I am...He would have to pay someone alot to keep me safe if it meant putting themselves in danger.

"A lot," he responds darkly, looking at me as if he can tell what I'm thinking. "He likes my healing abilities."

I sigh through my nose, looking out at the sea, the pale sun making the surface of the sea look perfectly silken. "So do normal citizens here all have magical abilities?"

"No, only those who are half Demon and half Angel," he explains. I frown, looking at him as if he just spoke a foreign language. Demons and Angels? I've never heard of such a thing. And yet Eryk's expression doesn't erupt into one of amusement like I expect - if he is even capable of producing anything but that stoic, unbothered expression.

"Wait...Huh?"

"It's a very long story, but most people here are merely mortal. But those like myself and Stace are half Angel and Demon," he tells me, not impatient, thankfully, although doesn't look interested in giving me the entire story of this realm. I'm still trying to grasp as much of it as possible, and hearing this is the last thing I expected.

I fold my arms over my chest. "And Stace tells you what to do."

"He's more powerful than me, with more Angel blood than Demon," he notes, still staring out at the sea. His brown eyes are lit to an almost golden colour under the sunlight.