||17||

•17•

NARRATOR’S POV

Elise felt as she was walking on thin ice in the office that day. She still couldn’t wrap her head around what had happened the previous day. How was she supposed to react to that? She knew she respected Javier for it. He had taken his half brother and raised him just like his own son. She had witnessed how much he loved him in these previous days she had worked for him. Not everyone could do it. This was not what made it awkward for her. it was what she had told him. He was her boss and she had shared her worst phase of life with him. That was not professional at all and made things awkward between them.

While Elise was busy in her thoughts, Javier wasn’t far behind. Even he felt embarrassed and disappointed in himself. He hadn’t told anyone about Riley and all of sudden he told her. he had made his mind to not tell her. What was there to tell her. Riley was his kid, period. There was no argument about it. But he wanted to tell her. He knew he could trust her just like she had trusted him with her secret. Something in his heart told him that she wouldn’t harm Riley in any way. 

“Um, Sir, you have a call from Ms. Blossom. Do you need me to tell her you're busy?” Ellie asked nervously. 

“No, its fine. I will take it.” he picked up the call as Elise left his office with few signed files. 

"Grace." He greeted as he pressed the phone to his ear.

"Thank god. You still remember my name." A sarcastic voice said from the other end.

"Just like you remember my number." He retorted.

"Oh, Please." She huffed, "I was giving you some space before making my move again." 

"God Grace, when will you give up!" He laughed.

"Until I see a ring on your finger."

"I think you didn't call for this chit chat." He asked changing the topic.

"There is a problem." All of a sudden her voice was serious. That was one of the few things Javier liked about her. Her nature. She was sweet and genuine despite being so rich and famous.

"What happened now?" He asked opening a few buttons of his shirt, watching the sun set. 

"Its about you this time." Her voice came out scared and unsure.

"Okay?"

"You can't get angry Javier." She pleaded.

"Grace, what is it?" Grace Blossom never acted this way until she had good reason. She knew all to well about his voilent side.

"I was with Brooks last night…" 

"You are still sleeping with him? Seriously Grace, that man?" Javier asked angrily. If there was one person Javier hated with passion, it was Brooks.

"Look, don't drag me in between your fight. What I wanted to tell you was, He slipped infront of me that he knows about your son."

Javier felt the air knocked out of his chest. He didn't want that man to ever find out about Riley. He was crazy. It wasn't above him to go after his kid to hurt him.

"Look I don't think he would do anything…"

"Oh really" he asked angrily. His hands were shaking in anger. 

"I just thought you ought to know." 

"Thanks." With that simple word, Javier hung up. He wasn't in mood for any more conversation. He was angry. It was his child that had been put in danger and he really wanted to know how Brooks found out about him.