Part 28

Ye-Ji's Point of View

I wasn't thinking straight when I shoved whoever it was off me because in my head, Ara's safety was my number one priority. The news about me 'being violent' to a fan spread like wildfire. It didn't take long for them to paint me as a villain when in reality, I was protecting my daughter. 

It had been two days since I went back to my parents' place and here wasn't a picnic either, even though the paparazzi were lesser ever since they knew Jin wasn't staying there, I couldn't bring Ara out at all. Ara was of course puzzled with the whole situation, she asked about Jin and her 6 uncles all the time but all I could answer was, they were busy. 

London had been on my mind..

I just lost my job and Ara had to quit school and since my father was feeling better, I thought of getting anew. My parents weren't oppose to this idea either but they wanted to me to have a word with Jin first.

"This is beyond his control, mother. My life feels like a damn circus lately", I said to her.

She looked at me in disbelief, "Ye-Ji, do you think things gonna be any different if you stayed back then and Jin agreed to have a kid? It will be same thing but at least that would be a planned thing. He just found out about Ara not even one or two months ago. Give him a break, Ye-Ji", my mother snapped and left the room.

I stared blankly at my computer screen, scrolling my thoughts away and then I received an email notification. It was from Jin.

Dear Cho Ye-Ji,

 There's no amount of sorry that could mend your broken heart but I will try my very best to be the person you and Ara need. Please give me a call whenever you are ready. I'm not going anywhere.

KSJ

I took a long sigh and left the room to check what Ara was doing. She was quietly sitting at her small table and it looked like she was gluing something on a piece of paper. I peeped behind her and to my surprise, it was the family tree assignment that her school gave to her months ago. The one that I managed to convince her school to not let her finish since I didn't want to explain who her father was. 

"Hey baby, what are you doing there?", I asked as I sat next to her.

That was when I realized that she pasted Jin's photo next to mine, "Ara, why did you put his picture on our family tree?"

"At school the other day, I overheard the teachers saying that Uncle Jin is my father. Is it true, mummy?", she asked while wiping the glue residue off her tiny crooked fingers.

I took a long pause to carefully think about my next step. I could

a. Lie my way out
b. Tell her the truth
c. Ignore her question

but I started to remember how Jin was whenever Ara was around him or how her eyes twinkled when Jin wanted to spend more time with her. She was initially very fond of Jungkook and mostly because the two acted like the same age but after knowing Jin, Ara couldn't stop talking about him. So I decided to go with option B.

I pulled her on my lap and hugged her tight, "I am sorry, baby that I didn't tell you before"

I couldn't tell if Ara was happy or sad because she just kept quiet the whole time. 

"It's okay, mummy. Is appa finally coming home now that we are here?", she innocently asked.

I wished I knew the answer.