Chapter 63: Trial

KARA/CAROLINE

We'd slowly fallen into routine over the next three months. The werecreatures were all healed, as best as we could find. At least we hadn't made any new creature discoveries in the last two months, so we were assuming they were all gone. But we were ready if any others popped up.

My dad was as ecstatic as I imagined he'd be, learning about his new grandbaby on the way, and was there as a witness when we got our real marriage certificate when the representative showed up at the pack again.

Rick was settling into the new wolf life better than I would have imagined. He had offered his old apartment in Seattle for anyone wanting to go on vacation, or to stay and go to school there. I think Bree and Jeremy were planning on using it for their upcoming honeymoon trip.

Rick was truly trying to turn a leaf to being a better person. He was down to one last scar now and really trying to be civil with William and I. I think his ultimate plan was to transfer to Fremont once he was finally fully forgiven though. They had more need for a doctor than Hightop, and he had a good medical background, for werewolves at least.

He agreed when, with his money, we'd put in a spectacular playground for all the children of the pack, right next to a new dog run and obstacle training course. All the children loved the new play area, and all marveled at the new pets. Those dogs got more attention than they knew what to do with. They even learned to love the word Hightop.

As for me, I've grown into my gift and have been able to control it quite well. In fact, my singing was now a morning ritual for the pack.

It was nicer than running off to the hospital every day, and gave everyone a boost, not just the really sick. Sure, I sped off for emergencies, but most of the time I just wandered the halls in the morning for a half an hour.

This morning was the musical Oklahoma. Again. It was my favorite to sing, especially seeing how beautiful the early hours looked from over the amazing Fish Lake forest treetops.

Little Lexi Kedge was ready at the beginning of fourth floor hallway B, all alone, as was her typical morning routine. She pouted as soon as she realized I was not singing Disney songs today. They were obviously her favorite.

William squeezed into my hand and then dropped it in favor of picking the little girl up and putting her on his shoulders, like usual.

No matter how sad she looked only a moment before, she was full of giggles and happy squeals then. Her hands wrapped around his forehead and she waved to any apartments that had families standing in their doorway eager to get the morning pick me up.

A healing song. The ultimate morning cup of coffee.

♪ Oh what a beautiful morning, Oh what a beautiful day,
I've got a wonderful feeling, everything's going my way! ♪

When the healer of my inner wolf brightened my eyes, I stopped at one open doorway and a lovely young mom with pink tips in her hair held a blue bundle out. I hadn't met her yet, but I'd seen her face passing this hallway in the morning every day. A new mom would definitely be needing an every morning healing song.

I grabbed the wrapped baby and rocked the sweet boy in my arms a moment, switching my projecting voice for a shallow whisper and watched as his fevered cheeks lightened until just a sweet hint of baby pink remained.

I held the infant for a moment longer, and one of William's arms came around me in loving support. His other arm was still steadying Lexi or his hand would almost certainly be over my stomach. He loved placing his hand there, giving his heat to our expected. I was excited to be a mother, but he was over the moon with joy, and it made me so grateful that we'd found each other, even if it took two decades.