The Doll

“Get out of my face Felix!” I shouted, swatting his stupid doll away.

“B-but Debbie just wants to play with you” Felix quivered, almost breaking into tears.

He pushed a button on the side and Debbie spoke in a squeaky; high-pitched voice: Play with me! I’m your best friend!

I covered my ears. I hated that doll. The moment it had arrived here, I knew it was trouble. Felix wouldn’t let go of it though. He was strangely obsessed with it. I’d never seen him like this before, but I figured the obsession would wear off in time. He was five years old, nowhere old enough to understand that his doll wasn’t real.

“Ok, ok” I said quickly, not wanting to upset him.

I hesitantly grabbed the doll and toyed with its hands and feet for a few minutes. All the while, Felix watched me; his eyes open in amazement and happiness. A smile crossed my face. He looked so cute when he smiled.

“Thanks Maya!” he exclaimed and took his doll back.

He gave me a swift kiss on the cheek and skipped out of my room. Having Felix for a brother was hard work, but I didn’t mind it. Since he had come here from the adoption home, our family had felt whole again. Before that, it had felt like there was a piece missing, a piece that left our puzzle incomplete. I sighed and looked back at the computer screen. The bland white light bore through my eyes. I moved the cursor over to the settings icon and changed the screen to a darker mode. I blinked a few times; cracked my knuckles and started typing. The final year essay was due tomorrow, and I was almost done. After an hour of painstaking editing, the file was finally ready. I hit save and closed my monitor.

I turned to my bed and fell face first on the sheets, shaking from exhaustion. I rolled over and stared at the ceiling. Expecting to see nothing, I was surprised when I saw a white light reflecting off the ceiling. I got up and noticed my computer had booted up. Thinking it might’ve been an update; I walked to the desk and clicked on the settings icon. An information box popped up.

Your OS is up to date

“Huh” I muttered to myself. “Must’ve been an error”

I was just about to turn the monitor off, when I saw it. The doll was sitting right beside my computer. In the faint glow of light its features looked creepy. Its red hair and blue dress stood out a bit too much. I picked it up and went to Felix’s room. He was sleeping, so I placed the doll on the bedside table. I kissed him on the forehead and closed the door.

xxx

The next morning, I woke up early to find Felix’s bed empty. I walked to the hall and saw him jumping around, holding a new doll in his hand.

“We got him another one” my mom said, flipping pancakes on the stove.

“Where’s dad?” I inquired.

“At the office” she said. “An emergency meeting”

I sat down on the table and immediately jumped up. I pulled something soft from under me. It was Debbie, Felix’s old doll.

“Hey Felix” I said. “Don’t you want to play with Debbie?”

He glanced at the doll and shook his head. “I have a cooler one now”

I shrugged and threw Debbie on the couch. Frankly, I was glad he had moved on. I guess the obsession had worn off. I gobbled down some breakfast and ran outside to catch the bus. As it rumbled away, I looked at our place and took a double-take. Debbie was propped against the window and was staring directly at me. I blinked and she was gone. The bus turned and our house disappeared from view. I shook my head. I must’ve been imagining things.

xxx

When I got home, I went to straight to my room and flopped on the bed. I had gotten full marks on my essay, but the day had been tiring. I reached for my pillow, but encountered something else. I looked up and saw Debbie staring back at me. My heart skipped a beat and I reflexively flung her across the room. I groaned and got up.

“Felix!” I called for him. “Did you put this doll here?”

He ran over to me and glanced at Debbie.

“No. I was playing with Nancy”
He held up the new doll my parents had got him.

“Ok” I said, “But keep this somewhere safe”

I tried handing him Debbie, but he backed away.

“I don’t want that doll” he shook his head, and almost looked scared.

“Ok, ok” I reassured him. “I’ll keep her. Now go to bed”

He nodded and trudged off, dragging Nancy behind him. I sighed and looked at Debbie. Her eyes seemed to follow mine, and they looked alive. I walked back to my bed and threw Debbie near my computer. I shut my eyes and trailed off into a dreamless sleep.

xxx

I woke up to the sound of screaming. It sounded like Felix. I got up and darted to his room. He wasn’t there. But where he would usually sleep, I saw a puddle of blood. My eyes widened and I called for him, trying to find him.
I ran back to my room, searching for my phone but was interrupted by a laugh. I turned and saw Felix tied up in the corner, his mouth gagged and throat bleeding profusely.

“Felix!” I shouted. “Mom! Dad! Come here!”

“Silly girl” a strangely familiar voice laughed. “They can’t hear you. Felix wouldn’t play with me. He paid the price”

Debbie emerged from behind Felix, carrying a large kitchen knife.

 “Now it’s your turn”
“Play with me! I’m your best friend!”