Losing interest in your own story

One question that I got was what advice do I have for losing interest in your own story. 

Losing interest in your own story can be quite the problem. A lot of times when you find stories on Wattpad that have On hold that's what the problem is. Either they don't have time to continue writing, or they probably lost interest in it. 

Not having enough time is a huge way that someone can lose interest in their own story. You start a story but then life just happens and you don't have time to write anymore. Then when you finally do have time to come back to it, you've sort of lost interest. 

It's a problem that even I've had. 

When this happens you should think about why you've lost interest in it. Is it because you just don't care about the story anymore? Or maybe you think that what you had before isn't really that great. There is always a way to fix this. 

-- look over your story. Start reading it from the beginning. Don't necessarily look at it as something that you wrote, read it to enjoy it. Take in all the witty comments that characters made. Soak in the problem that the protagonist has and the battles he or she faces. 

Let yourself enjoy the story and maybe when you get to where you left off, you'll finally have an interest in it again. You'll be invested in it. 

Maybe you lost interest because you're not really sure what's going on in the world. If that's the case, then try this. 

-- Think on the world for a bit. What does your main character and the people around her do? What are the rules to the world? What's accepted and what's not accepted? What is considered the norm and what's considered abnormal? If you're character was to do ____________ how would people react? How is the world laid out?

Not knowing enough about your world can sometimes stunt your writing. Going over these questions can be a good way to bring about your interest again. 

Another problem you may have is that you make your outline but when you look over it, it just looks stupid to you. Well... 

-- Why does it look stupid? 

I would say that no story idea is truly stupid. Every idea is worth something. An outline isn't going to have much on it other than your basic main plot. Maybe a few smaller plots that will move the story along. 

I also think that people tend to think their story idea is stupid while the people who are reading absolutely love it. 

If this is what's causing you to lose interest I would suggest first looking at my question above (why does it look stupid?) and then think about what you could do with it to change your perception. 

If you're at this point, it's a mental thing and you just need to push past it. Make yourself start the story (if all you have is the outline) or make yourself continue with the story. Plot out what's going to happen and see what you can do to improve it. 

You are your worst enemy when it comes to writing. If you can defeat yourself, then you can defeat anything. 

***********

As always, any questions just ask. As of this point, I have one more question to answer. After that, this book will go pretty silent. If you'd like any more pointers about anything, then ask away! I'm more than happy to answer them. 

If you don't feel comfortable asking in the comments, then send me a PM and ask the question. I'll mark it down and then do another section talking about that point. 

Thanks all! Happy Wattpadding!