Track 2: Coming Home

I spent the rest of my weekend getting settled into Rocky's house. It didn't take much; we lived in the house together during my graduate years. She saved up and bought the house a year after she graduated from Baylor. She works for a realtor company as a loan officer and got a great deal on a foreclosed house. When I graduated a year later, I moved in with her, paid rent and helped with the renovations.

The house was pretty much the same, besides the addition of a flat screen, new furniture and gaming system, all courtesy of Brandon, Ethan's little brother and now Rocky's boyfriend. They've been together for a year but he moved in after they dated 8 months. I was surprised but thrilled when I found out they were dating. Now, I was hiding out in my room, trying to avoid him. He was okay with me moving in; we always had fun together when Ethan and I were hooking up. I was excited at the prospect of us all hanging out again. That was before I realized how upset Brandon had been with me. I wasn't looking forward to anymore awkward conversations.

I was able to avoid Brandon by preparing for my interview, looking into apartments and connecting with old friends. I was in my room Sunday getting ready to go to Dave and Busters. I worked there as a bartender while I was in graduate school. It was definitely the hang out spot for my friends. We played games, watched sports, and scored discounted drinks. My friend Sammy still worked there. I was going to watch the Mavericks play the Spurs and catch up with her.

I was brushing my hair and putting it into a side low ponytail when I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in!" I called. I looked up, startled to see Brandon standing at the door. He was a few inches shorter than Ethan and had a boyish charm versus Ethan's mature masculinity. His charm was on full display as he grinned at me.

"Hey. How's it going?"

"Good, just getting ready to head out." I answered, grabbing my purse.

"Oh."

"Did you need something?" I asked, trying to be cool and casual.

"Yeah, I wanted to talk to you."

I groaned inwardly. "Well, I have some time before I have to go-"

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about. I feel like you're avoiding me." He said, still standing outside the door.

I focused on finding my keys in my bag. "I've been busy..."

"Yeah, avoiding me." He smiled. His smile reminded me of Ethan's and I relaxed.

"You got me. It's just so awkward, on so many levels. As Rocky's boyfriend, Ethan's brother, EJ's uncle." I smiled on the last one.

"I'm sure that me being Rocky's boyfriend is why it's awkward between us now."

"She told you?"

"That I might have called you bitchy?"

"Oh no, she said bitch." I clarified, smartly.

"Does it make a difference?"

"Big difference! Huge!"

He laughed and finally came in the room and flopped down on the bed with me.

"Well whatever I said, it was about a girl that hurt my brother. Not the girl who is Rocky's best friend and especially not about our new roomy."

I smiled. "Roomy? Don't say roomy. That sounds like we're sharing a dorm room. Say housemate."

"Roomy. I'm gonna speak it to existence, even if it's just for a night." He teased.

"Perv!" I laughed, playfully shoving him before hopping off the bed.

"Hey Lily?"

"Yeah?" I responded, turning to face him.