The Radiant Widow

EDITED: 7th Jan 2022

257 AC

It was not even a year after her wedding that Tya Lannister's husband died.

What a tragedy, women said with concern, sending sympathetic looks her way. She's so young... imagine being a widow at fifteen, with not even a child to console her over her husband's death.

As it turned out, being a widow at fifteen made Tya feel better than she had done in a long while, as those who knew her could tell. She had been at Casterly Rock for four months - having been unable to take any more of life at the Twins - when she received the news. It was delivered by a messenger who had clearly expected to be greeted by a sobbing, grief-stricken young woman and did not know what to do with her.

"It was murder, milady," The man said solemnly. "He and his two companions were found in the woods, robbed of all valuables. Bandits, no doubt - they get bolder every year. All were dead when we got there, and... No, you don't want to hear the rest,"

"Tell me," She ordered, raising an eyebrow at his hesitation. "Go on, I won't faint,"

"Ser Emmon's throat was slit from ear to ear," The messenger grimaced. "Likely the outlaws realised too late he was from a noble house and didn't want him seeing their faces and sending men after them. Apologies, milady,"

He gave her an odd look as a smile crept onto her face.

"Perhaps the next husband my father forces upon me will be man enough to fight off a few common wretches,"

Those words and that smile quickly spread and became infamous across the Seven Kingdoms. Tya might have been ill-advised in saying something so callous so soon after her husband's death, but honestly could not care less what anyone said.

Let them suspect her of murder if they liked; she was a hundred leagues away in Casterly Rock when the incident occurred, and how could they blame an ambush by bandits on a young lady like her? As if she'd know the first thing about plotting a murder, let alone where to find such unsavoury types to do it.

It was a good thing that the two men she had entrusted the job to were discreet, members of her personal guard whose loyalty could be relied upon, considering how much she had paid them.

She didn't go to the funeral. She never even went back to the Twins, simply ordered her possessions brought back to Casterly Rock, then set off for King's Landing once more.

"Congratulations, Lady Lannister," Was the first thing Jason asked her when she returned to the Red Keep, grinning. "On being rid of that weasel. He was below you in every possible way," He had met her in the courtyard as she rode in.

She raised an eyebrow at the formal address, even though she was pleased by his use of her widowed name. Every time someone called her Lady Frey she had strongly corrected them, no matter how many times her former husband's family riled at it

Tya couldn't help but smile slightly at that, though she normally disdained both compliments and her cousin, taking his offered arm. She wore gold that day. She had worn not a single black garment since word reached her of Emmon's death. Of course, no one could know what she had done, but it was nice to receive a little credit.

"As are you," Was her only reply, though it was delivered without much bite to it.

His grin only grew. Strange boy.

Her cousin had gone to King's Landing shortly after her wedding, to squire for Ser Godfrey, master-at-arms at the Red Keep. By all accounts, he had made friends with Aerys in her absence. Tya could understand why; she had to admit that Jason was witty and sharp-tongued, which would amuse the prince, and irreverent enough to catch his interest.