Chapter 4

John B said" It's not there. Look, just-just pull the drone up. Shit."
Pope said" Look, we can do another pass. Recharge the battery. We can- We can go back down."
JJ said" We've done it three times. There's nothing there."
Kie said" Shut up!"
" What? It's true!"
" The gold could be buried. We don't know."
John B said" If it was there, it would've been found on the metal detector, okay? Somebody beat us to it."

Kiara and I dragged JJ and Pope to the lawn movie,
Kie said" I'm so glad that they're still doing this. Keep calm. Carry on. Back to OBX life. You know? Aren't you guys glad that I made you come?"
Pope said" Ecstatic."
JJ said" My couch was pretty comfy, I'll be honest." I started setting up our spot as Kie went to get the drinks. I heard the boys whisper to each other, oh no, what'd they do?

Kie walked back,
She said" Just saw Rafe, and he said, and I quote, Tell your boy that we know what he did. What is that?"
JJ said" Um... Where is he?"
" Right there." Pope turned quick to look back at the group,
Pope said" Great, the whole death squad."
JJ said" Don't stare, Bro."
" Ah!"
" Just warning you, bro. If they corner me, I'm coming out swinging, okay? Slice and dicin'. I'm on edge right now."
" Yeah, yeah."
" If that doesn't work, I got this right here."
" Yeah, yeah. So, we just gotta stay in the group. They con't get us in the group."
" Like a school of fish."
" Stay in the school. Can't leave the school." Did JJ bring the gun... oh, my god, he brought the gun!
Kie said" I'm sorry, JJ... please tell me that you did not bring a gun here. JJ, there are kids."
JJ said" Kie, I didn't bring the gun. Everything's fine, okay?"
" Oh, wow, thank you. That's really convincing. I love that, JJ. Founding principle, you guys. No secrets amongst Pogues. What if Rafe talking about?"
Pope said" Kie, it might go down tonight."
" What does that mean? Might go down tonight. What did y'all do?"
I said" What'd you two do?"

JJ and Pope got up,
Kie whispered" Hey, where y'all going?"
JJ said" We gotta wring it out."
" You gonna hold it for each other?" They walked away, I looked at Kie then looked to where the boys went.

Kie and I ran up to Rafe, Kelce, and Topper fighting Pope and JJ.
Kie said" Let go of him, Topper! Fascist asshole!"
I said" Let him go, Kelce!" I jumped onto Kelce's back, hitting at his shoulders. Then I heard Kie scream, I screamed as Rafe grabbed me and threw me off. I saw Topper choking Pope, Rafe punching the hell out of JJ. I looked at Kie,
Topper said" One chance, Pope! One chance. Come on! One! Got anything you wanna say, bro?" Then Kelce started choking JJ,
I said" Let them go!" I got up and ran to JJ, trying to pull Kelce's arms off his neck, Kie lit the screen on fire.
Kie said" Kelce, let go of JJ!" Topper dropped Pope, who fell to the ground, coughing. Kelce let go of JJ, JJ started coughing. Pope got up," Are you okay?"
" We're okay."
Pope said" You're a freakin' idiot."
Kie said" I saved your ass. Come on." I grabbed JJ's hand and we followed Kie and Pope.
———
JJ said" Don't let it get in your head, bro. Three of them and two of us. That's some typical Kook shit right there."
Kie and I said" Hell, yeah."
" What was your thought process, using your head?"
Pope said" I don't know, man. I just kind of acted off instinct."
Kie said" Yes."
" I was a cornered animal."
Heyward said" Hey, Pope, someone here to see you." Then Shoupe came in,
" Evening, officer."
Shoupe said" I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property. Keep your hands where I can see 'em. Young ladies, out of my way."
Heyward said" Whoa. Shoupe, what'd he do?"
" Take a look at the warrant."
Kie said" You're arresting him?"
Heyward said" You're just arresting my boy?"
I said" Be careful!"
" Shoupe, are you listening?"
JJ said" How much did they pay you, man?"

We kept trying to talk to Shoupe, then Shoupe was about to put Pope into the truck.
JJ said" It wasn't him! It was me. He tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit. I can't let you take the blame for somethin' I did. You've got too much to lose."
Pope said" JJ, what are you doing?"
" I'm tellin' the truth. For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth. I took his old man's boat, too."
Heyward said" What the hell?"
Pope said" JJ, come on."
JJ said" Just shut up, Pope! Just shut up. He's a good kid. You know where I'm from."
Shoupe said" Yeah."
" This was all me."
" That's the whole truth?"
" Whole truth, swear to god."
" I know what you think, damn it, I'm asking Pope."
Pope said" Yeah, that about covers it." Shoupe undid the cuffs on Pope and put JJ into the truck. They drove away, Pope threw his hat to the ground.
Heyward said" Pope."
" Shit!"
" Pope?" Pope walked away, What the hell just happened? I looked at Kie, gulping.