Chapter 11

I agreed to stay for dinner because I'm horrible at saying no to people

I agreed to stay for dinner because I'm horrible at saying no to people. It didn't occur to me that the said dinner would be with Laura's entire family, including her hot brother... and Jacob.

I also couldn't find the courage to change my mind because I would probably chicken out and go home and have an anxiety attack. Which I didn't really want because then I would feel the need to crawl out of my bedroom window and plumet to my death. Which, at this moment, sounded quite appealing.

I sat awkwardly on the sofa whilst Laura was upstairs with Jacob. She had offered for me to come up with her but I refused. I heard a boisterous, deep laugh and then Jacob was stumbling into the room.

His laughter died down when he saw me sitting there and his eyes kept glancing away from me every so often. I cleared my throat and looked away, playing with my fingers.

"Shall we watch a movie until my parents come home?" Laura asks, slapping a hand on Jacob's shoulder.

He rips his eyes away from me and nods his head before moving to sit next to me on the sofa. His arm drapes across the back and I suddenly feel a little heated.

I didn't contribute in the decision of which movie to watch because I didn't want them to think my taste was bad so they decided on watching Things Heard & Seen.

Excitement boiled in me because I liked watching horror movies. They sent dread through me and I enjoyed nothing more than scaring myself. Jacob must have noticed the change in my stance because he asked,

"Are you okay with watching this movie?"

I peered at him and nodded my head. Something inside of me compelled me to not look away so we both sat there staring at each other. Jacob smiled at me and I could see Laura's wild grin from the corner of my eye. Rolling my eyes, I look away and settle further into the sofa.

Half an hour into the slow- paced movie, I let my head fall back onto Jacob's arm that was still behind me. He stilled and a small smile crept onto my face.

My body jerked forward when a jump scare embraced the tv screen. Jacob laughs from beside me and I feel a little more at ease.

It was at this moment that the front door opens and a male voice erupts into the house.

"Honey, I'm home!" A man, Laura's dad, walks into the room, his arms open wide.

A woman walks in after him, a wide smile on her smile and next to her was Laura's brother in all his glory. He was a little taller than Laura and he had the same dark (pre coloured) hair that Laura had. A sweater clung to his body and grey jogging bottoms covered his lower half. Freckles were scattered across his face and when he smiled at me, I couldn't help noticing the dimples next to his lips. I find my eyes following him and it wasn't until Jacob clears his throat that I'm pulled out of my trance.

Laura's dad shoots a glance at me and I suddenly feel very awkward. A wave of anxiety pulses through me and I stay silent.

Laura notices because she stands in next to the sofa and introduces me.