Prologue

Excerpts from The Secret History of the Trees by Leamhan Elm

The King Who Never Was

Once upon a time, all the Trees decided to gather under one king. First they asked the Olive Tree who was the Ash's brother, but the Olive Tree was uninterested.

He told the Trees, "I am happy giving my oil and fruits to animals and people. Why would I want to be King? I'm useful enough as I am."

Unable to convince the Olive, they went to the Cherry Tree and asked, "Please, become our Queen."

The Cherry Tree laughed, and laughed. Finally, when she was able to take a breath she said, "Why would I want to wave about among the Trees when I'm already sweet enough as I am?"

Still embarrassed by the Cherry Tree's mockery, they went to the Vine Tree and asked him.

The Vine thought about it for a moment, "My whole focus is on gathering together, celebrating, and rejoicing with my new wine. If I became your King, I'd have to give up on my celebrations and my friends. No."

Finally, with no one else to ask if they would rule over them, they visited the Bramble. The Bramble had seen the Trees ask everyone else and was feeling pretty angry about being the last one picked.

When they finally asked him, he said, "If you are really going to make me king, come seek refuge under my shade. But if you're not serious, I will twine myself around your hearts and set fire to all of us. You will all burn with me."

The Trees were all far too tall to seek shelter under the shade of the Bramble so they left him to his solitude, one by one.

And just like he promised, he burned them all.***********

The Darkened Promise 

Before the door to Earth was closed, before the war brought death all around, Duir and Huathe wished to have a child, but they were not allowed to have one because they were fallen.

The Bramble heard them talking about it one day and suggested that they go to the Straif.

Although they were not fond of Straif, he was the most magical and cleverest among the Trees, having been the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden.

Everyone thought it was the apple. It's an easy mistake, given the Apple's character.

The Bramble knew that the Straif was the most arrogant out of the Trees, and he had been bitter that they had never even asked him if he would be king. Bramble rubbed his hands at the damage all of this would wreak.

The Straif was willing but he wanted something from the couple in return if he succeeded.

"If I can do this for all of us, you must promise to let me be free to visit Earth whenever I like."