Chapter 2

Hannibal sat in the small hotel room he had rented. He was thinking of how he could become more permanently part of Florence which would fulfil his interests. The idea of the library crossed his mind, the elderly librarian who did not do a very good job in looking after the important Palazzo Library was nothing but a nuisance to all who knew him. Hannibal smiled, his plan falling into place in his mind.

Another meeting came and went and again, you and Doctor Fell were the last people in the room, the other scholars leaving for other things. You smiled at the Doctor as he put on his white hat and picked up his many papers.

"A very interesting debate" you said, picking up your own things.

"Thought provoking to say the least" Doctor Fell echoed, sending you a smile. "I may accept your offer late"

"My offer?" you ask.

"Do you not remember asking me for coffee?" Doctor Fell asked.

"Oh, yes, of course" you said, grinning, slightly flustered. Doctor Fell gently smiled in response and followed you out of the building.

"I am unfortunately not fully aware of the best places in Florence for coffee" Doctor Fell said.

"Caffe degli Artigiani is a rather good" you said, guiding the man through the streets of Florence a short way to a cafe that looked over a tiny square. It was only a short walk that rested in comfortable silence as you walked together through the tight streets of Florence.

"So" you said, you were the first person to break the silence now you had both sat and had ordered drinks. "You are obviously not a native of Italy, are you from America? Eastern Europe?"

"I have spent some time in America" Doctor Fell. "But what about you?" he asked, his eyes twinkling. "You are not a native either, are you?"

"You are correct" you said, "I am from the United Kingdom"

"Oh yes, I have enjoyed many good meals there" Doctor Fell said.

You smiled, and you fell into silence as the drinks were placed on the table.

"Tell me (y/n), do you believe in God?" he asked, looking at you over his cup.

You were slightly taken aback by this so deep of a question but decided to take it anyway, thinking for a moment you answered. "It depends" you said slowly. "God is real to those who believe them to be so, the thought of them brings comfort to many who suffer, so I would say yes, I do believe in God as an idea and thought which brings inspiration and comfort to those who believe in him" you said. Hannibal watched you, intrigued at your answer, his coffee in his hand.

"A very thought-provoking answer" he mused, a small twinkle in his eye. "How then would you explain for those who suffer who believe in God?"

"There is a part of free will in suffering" you said.

"But what about cases, such as when a church roof collapsed on those who were worshipping?" Hannibal asked, tapping his cup slightly. "Therefore it gives us two conclusions, either there is no God, or that God is a murderer"

You sighed, "You have stumped me Doctor Fell" you said, a small smile on your lips.

Hannibal looked back at you, his eyes twinkling and his tongue sliding against the top of his teeth. "You are very interesting to talk to" Hannibal said. "But I do agree, the idea of God has led to both things of beauty and destruction, wasn't it the crusaders who believed they had their God's blessing before invading lands which they had never known beforehand"

"I agree" you said. "On one hand it has caused the crusades and witch trials, however, the idea of God set influences for art, music and literature which are still alive today. You can trace back pop music to the Gregorian chants, created to celebrate God" Hannibal sipped his drink, his interest growing. "I prefer to focus on the good, as you can most likely tell" you said, with a smile. Hannibal sent you back a smile. You noticed that it was one a twinkle, but also something else which you could not think what it would be. You shrugged it off, taking another sip of your drink and looking around the cafe.

"They do good food here also" you said, changing the subject completely from the heavy topic you were discussing.

"I shall make a note" Hannibal said, not looking around, instead he was thinking. You reminded him a bit of Clarice, always looking for the good, he wondered if you would squirm the same way as Clarice. On another hand, you also reminded him of Mischa. His wonderful sister was a person of pure innocence and kindness. For the three times you had talked, Hannibal seemed to already sussed you out, meanwhile, you haven't a clue of who Doctor Fell really was and his true nature under it.

"Bach" Hannibal said, breaking the silence that had fallen.

"What about him?" you ask, lowering your cup.

"He is a prime example of a composer who had been inspired by an idea of God"

You nodded in agreement. "Bach's music is wonderful, especially his Mass in B minor. I have had the pleasure once to listen to it live"

"A pleasure indeed" Hannibal echoed. "Although I have never heard that particular piece of choral music live, I have enjoyed St Matthew's passion" You nodded, smiling. You were glad that you and Hannibal found some further common ground between you both, it was nice to find someone too easy to talk to and such interesting company.

"Have you met Patrizia Fubini?" you asked. "He is the librarian at the Capponi Library"

"I have not" Hannibal lied. He actually had met the man and found him annoying and idiotic, not at all worthy of having the title of a librarian.

"He has not been to meetings because he is quite ill" you said quietly. "I have kept in contact with him as he is my uncle and I always tell him what we discuss in the meetings." you frowned, sighing slightly. "He had a stroke just a couple of weeks ago and he is only now able to walk properly." Hannibal cocked his head and watched as you sighed, sadness overtaking you a little. "I am glad that he is on the mend and will return to his duties soon" Hannibal nodded, taking another sip of his drink and watching you, waiting for you to carry on. "I am sure you would like Patrizia Doctor Fell" you said, "he enjoys discussing questions on God and philosophy."

"I will look forward to meeting him" Hannibal said, his head still slightly cocked, he watched you with interest, how you reacted when worried about someone you loved. "Now" Hannibal said, swigging the rest of his drink. "It has been nice to spend some time with you, however, I must depart"

"Ah yes" you said, drinking the rest of yours and standing. "Where are you staying Doctor?" you asked.

"Not to far" Hannibal said.

"I live with a view over the river Arno" you said as Hannibal placed some money down on the table and you walked out together into the street. He nodded, tipping his hat as a goodbye before walking down one of the streets. You watched him go before walking down another street toward your flat, Doctor Fell's questions still buzzing in your mind.