5

I sit across from the king of the Ignius Kingdom, the king who refuses to leave me alone whilst I force myself to eat the strange breakfast of the people.

"So what was it like to live here, during the war?" Lucas asks.

"It was better than it is now."

"Describe it to me."

"Why?"

He grins. "No one knows what it was like back then. It was not recorded well. Early documents are a lot more damaged; and there is nothing better than having it come from the eyes of a witness."

I sigh. "Everyone knew each other. We trained together and everyone had something they did. Some stayed here, others battled. People and their families did move out to the colonies sometimes to keep them in order. It was peaceful and organised though. When there were not people badgering me for proposals. Title hungry people who thought I would accept an arrangement like my mother and father. Those people were horrid. I would not be here if not for... Tell me about your kingdom."

"It is extremely large. Many different people and well it is hard to describe. But it is not as icy as here. The capital is honestly pretty loud at times. Ability matches and business deals are common. It is a lot less closed off."

"Closed off?"

"The ice empire. It has extremely strict security. Getting into one of the less populated cities and towns can be hard enough. The capital however is the most closed off of all. You would have to be a dedicated scholar or a world leader, like me, to get in here. It is the centre of research. Cures for some of the worst illnesses are created here. They study the history of our world and many other things. The Ice Empire today, is known for intelligence and wisdom and the best healers and medical professionals in the world. Unless you are of this nation getting in here is impossible without being invited in."

I finish eating and get up to my feet.

"Leaving so soon?"

"Yes."

"Spend the day with me. We can explore the city together. I am sure you are curious."

"No I am not. I only ate here because it is where I used to eat with my family. You just happened to have intruded."

I want to see none of it. None of this new city. It makes me want to burst into tears when I think of how I was left like that. I want to run away from it all. I do not want to be hit with it all in the face.

He intercepts me on my way out.

"Yes?" I ask.

His black jacket with its fur lining is practically forced into my face. He is taller than me which means instead of his eyes, I am staring straight into the chest I was unfortunate enough as to bump into seconds before.

"Nevea," he says, and I wince as his tongue butchers my name. "Did I say it wrong?"

"Yes," I sigh.

"Nevia. Is that better?"

"No. My name is Nivia. Ni-vi-a. It means snow."

"So I could just call you Snow?" He asks.

"No you cannot," I say.

"Hmm I think I can, Snow."

"But- "

"It is just a nickname. You are so serious Snow; you need to relax. I am not out to get you," he says, frowning.

"As if I would believe that. You keep following me like a hunting dog; not to mention how you keep tormenting me. It can only mean you want to gain my trust and then attack me."