06. - GOOD OLD DAYS

𝙪𝙣𝙗𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙙

six. festivities at court!

 — festivities at court!

"MELISSA, HAVE YOU any news from your mother?" Baron Rivers entered his daughter's chambers one morning, almost a week after they had arrived at court

"Just that she is glad we have arrived safely and to give her news of whatever arises." The girl shrugged, glancing her father's way as she ran a fine-toothed comb through her hair.

"Your sister is getting restless."

"Elizabeth?"

The former Lancastrian man heaved a sigh and nodded.

"I cannot imagine what for." Melissa smiled innocently, finishing with her hair and clasping a silver chain adorned with a simple cross around her neck

Her father gave her a deadpan look. "Your brothers and I are not as behind on the times as you presume us to be, daughter. I could tell from the start that there was something going on between that York king and your sister; especially so after he summoned us personally."

"Then you have nothing to worry about, papa."

His daughter walked over to him, planting an affectionate kiss on his cheek after she had swung a simple blue cloak round her shoulders.

"Elizabeth may have been dishonored, and you tell me not to worry!"

"Elizabeth has not been dishonored." Melissa stated firmly, tying the string of her cloak and snatching a lavender colored ribbon from her vanity. "You can be sure of that."

"Enlighten me: how can I?" Baron Rivers inquired sarcastically. "You do not know how these Yorks are. They have no honor!"

"You should not say that, father!"

"But am I wrong?"

"Can anyone truly say they are entirely honorable?" The red-head finally snapped, tired of her father's snark. "I do wonder, where are we getting this idea from? That the Yorks are devil incarnate and old King Henry a saint? He was soft in the head, father, and his wife ruled through him, not even to benefit England, but to the detriment of its people! She ordered the Duke of York and his son to be executed, without a fair trial or anything else their station was due. She mounted their heads by the city gates, as though they were common criminals! Where is the honor in that, hm?"