23. Attacked by Tinkerbell

"Is it ever going to come out?" June asked. Currently she was bent over shaking her hair. Water droplets sprayed everywhere however the glitter remained attached to her scalp.

We'd just emerged from our first dip in the lake and I did have to agree with Ruben, it was as freezing as it looked. However after we'd splashed around for a bit, warmth had returned to my body.

"You guys still look as though you've been attacked by Tinkerbell," Noah cackled.

I rolled my eyes. "I still can't believe you didn't get any on you."

"I was lucky." Noah replied with a grin then turned his attention down the beach. "Come on, it looks like the teachers are calling everyone over."

I dried my legs enough to pull my shorts back on over my bikini then we made our way back to lake sheds where people were gathering. To my dismay I saw that Griffin and Oscar had also arrived. Why was it when I wanted to avoid him, he was everywhere? As we drew closer I caught Griffin looking towards us and so I gave him an enthusiastic scowl before turning my attention to the two teachers standing in front of a shed labelled kayaks. 

One of the teachers I hadn't seen before while the other was the same blonde teacher from the scavenger hunt and sumo wrestling. The man stepped forward. "My name is Mr Fowler for those of you that don't know me, and this is Miss Winters."

Miss Winters, finally a name I could put to the young teacher who seemed to be everywhere.

"We will be supervising the water activities. Feel free to take out the kayaks and go over to the island."

My eyes flitted towards the island located in the middle of the lake. It had trees scattered on it and its far side was hidden from us by a hill. "We should go there," I whispered and got nods from both June and Noah.

"As long as we can see you on the water, you may go anywhere, though we do ask that you have at least one other person with you. Let us know if you need help with anything." He smiled and students began scattering.

"Guys, do you see those buckets?" I said, eyeing four red buckets that were lying abandoned on the ground by the shed.

"Yes."

I began walking over to the buckets. "I think our enemies deserve to get a wet surprise themselves." Noah let out a chuckle at my words and I continued, "We have to repay their kind gift from earlier."

We each picked one up and went down to the lake to fill them. The whole time I kept one eye on Griffin who seemed to be dragging out kayaks from one of the sheds.

June waved her bucket wildly around, splashing water everywhere. "Oscar's mine."

I nodded. "He's all yours."

Noah looped an arm through mine. "We can take Griffin together."

We snuck up on the two boys completely focused on tugging out a kayak from under a tarpaulin. With my hands I counted down from five and on one, we emptied the buckets of freezing water onto their heads.

"Ah!" They leapt back in horror as the cold water hit them.

"That's freezing!" Griffin got out, turning around to shake the water from his hair. "You cruel woman."

I laughed. "You seemed to be struggling with dragging out the kayaks so we thought we'd be helpful and bring the lake to you..." My laugh faded as Griffin turned around to face us. His shirt was now stuck completely to his chest leaving no room for imagination. For a moment I could only stare at the defined outline of his abs, then my brain kicked back into gear and my eyes snapped to his face. I blushed when I found his eyes already looking at me, a teasing glint in them. He had most definitely caught me staring. I found my voice again and smirked. "6:4."

Griffin took a step towards me. "I'll get you back for this."

I smiled. "Will you really?" 

Before he could reply Oscar grabbed a kayak and said, "Come on dude. Let's get changed out of these clothes."

"See you later princess." Griffin grabbed his own kayak and they pulled them round the corner towards the changing rooms.

June elbowed me when they were out of sight. "He only had eyes for you then."

I laughed ignoring the feeling stirring in my stomach. "Ha, he was probably just imagining sinking my kayak or something."

She shook her head. "Didn't look like that type of gaze to me." 

"Common guys, help me out here," Noah interrupted, pulling on a kayak.

We got out three kayaks then pulled them down to the water. To my relief Griffin and Oscar hadn't reappeared by the time we were paddling away towards the island. 

The water lapped at our kayaks as the wind picked up in the middle of the lake and I was glad to have pulled my t-shirt back on before we left. It took us roughly ten minutes to reach the island's sandy shore where we pulled our kayaks high up into the grass.

Noah opened his arms."The three amigos adventure in the new land hast beguneth."

"What shall we do?" June asked.

"Look for treasure of course." Noah pretended to look through a telescope with his hands.

We spent around forty minutes exploring every nook and cranny on the island. We discovered a pretty cool abandoned well and when June had dropped in a rock it took a good few seconds for us to hear the splash at the bottom. On top of the largest hill we'd also found a clear stream that flowed out from between rocks and ran down the far side of the island. Throughout our exploration we'd occasionally we'd bumped into other students exploring but thankfully no sign of Griffin or Oscar.

"I think we should probably start heading back," Noah said as we sat in the shade of a tree by the stream.

"Do we have to move?" June asked with a groan.

"Well no, but I'm getting hungry." He patted his stomach.

"I'm also getting hungry," I said.

June began standing up. "We should've brought over snacks."

I nodded. "Agreed."

Noah stuck his hand into his pocket and brought out some rather soft looking brazil nuts. "I have these if anyone wants them?"

I wrinkled my nose. "No thanks."

"Yeah I also won't be eating them," he agreed. "Let's go find our kayaks. I hope they're still where we left them."

We began making our way up the stream's bank to where we had found a fallen tree with a branch that rested a few metres above the stream; it was the perfect bridge. June went across it first, followed by Noah who almost fell off it much to my amusement. I then leapt onto and began making my way across it. I was almost halfway across when a large crack reached my ears and I felt the branch beneath me give way to thin air. 

A/N:

Here's the big debate, what's best to swim in... the sea, lakes, or rivers?

Vote and comment if you enjoyed :)

SouthernAlps over and out...