Chapter 5

Grace

That was the most I'd shared with anyone since I moved back. It was the most I'd shared with anyone since I'd been torn from my life, since I'd last seen Nolan. His face showed no expression, and I waited for something, anything, from him.

Slowly, as if each inch of his body acknowledged what I'd just shared, disbelief, then anger, then hurt took over his features in rapid succession. I could still read him so well.

Before he could say anything, Annette set the plates and shakes down without us even ordering. My mouth watered at the thick burger on a full bun with lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles on the side. I hadn't eaten anything since the granola bar for breakfast. Annette put another platter between us, filled with shoestring fries.

"Air-fried, not grease-fried," she said to Nolan with a knowing smile. "Just like you normally request."

Nolan grinned up at her. "Getting more people ordering them like that?"

"A few, but most of my customers come here for the grease." She patted his shoulder with motherly affection, and I felt a twinge of envy. Annette turned her gaze to me. "Do you need anything else, dear? I know what Nolan orders, but we haven't been properly introduced."

"Annette, this is Grace," Nolan said, pointing toward each of us.

"The Grace?" Annette's eyes widened and her grin followed. "Oh, girl, I know all about you then. I'll be back with the ranch."

I turned toward Nolan. His cheeks reddened just a touch, and it was adorable. I pushed that thought away. It wasn't appropriate, and it wasn't happening. He was a different person.

But he didn't feel like a different person.

"I saw the books you had out," I said, just to get out of my own head. The steam wafted off the fries, putting him in a fog. I reached for one and dipped it in my vanilla shake. God, I hadn't had this since high school. "Is that for an elective or for your major?"

Nolan had just taken his burger out of the lettuce wrap and set it aside. He shook up the mustard container, and squirted too much on the plate, but no ketchup. He used to love ketchup. "It's for a part of my major, a child development class." He cut a piece off and chewed slowly. "Who was that person at the desk today? The one who looked like a professor?"

"Oh, Professor Miklovich. She offered me a research position." I ate another shake-covered fry, relishing the sweet and salty hitting my tongue. "She's in the history department and specializes in the ancient Greeks."

"So, you're a history major?" He stared at the fries before cutting his lettuce into a makeshift salad.

I took a bite of the juicy burger and grabbed my napkin to wipe away the grease dripping down my chin. "No, library science. I took her course last spring and impressed her with my research skills."

"Last spring?" his voice was soft, and he didn't look at me. "You were here last spring?"

I'd wanted to ease into this part, but I fell into our old comfort zone. Even if we were totally different people. I didn't answer him right away, instead focusing on the burger.

"Gracie?" he whispered, his food all but forgotten.

I swallowed and met his stare. "I've been back since December, and I started classes in January."

"Did you know I was here?"

I nodded, and the hurt shattered across his face. He closed his eyes. I looked away, tears filling my vision. "I thought you'd forgotten about me," I whispered.