twenty-four: the cat and mouse game

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"𝐇𝐄𝐘...𝐇𝐄𝐘!"

Inari shook Hoshi's body as he slept. He muttered some unintelligible words and rolled over to his side, "Wake up Hoshi! Now!" She slapped the top of his head and he sat up while whining, "Jeez, Inari! Can't a guy get sleep around here?" He yelled, "Shh-!" Inari pressed her index finger against lips.

He looked at her finger before looking at her, "Look around Hoshi, Hayase is gone! Again!" She announced.

Hoshi stood up and looked around, he saw Hayase's spot completely empty, not leaving anything of his stuff behind, "Where did Hayase go?" He turned to Inari who was looking back at him with a worried face, "I don't know...Hayase was badly hurt, was he kidnapped again?"

The yellow eyed boy ran his fingers through his hair and let out a sigh, "That wouldn't make any sense—if he was taken took him, why wouldn't we be taken too?"

Letting out a short gasp, Inari grabbed Hoshi's arm and pulled him behind a tree.

Too close for comfort, Hoshi pulled back, "What are you doing?" He asked between his seethed teeth, Inari looked back, "What if it's an ambush?" She knelt down and a snake slithered down her sleeve, she let it go and looked up at Hoshi, "The scroll...where is it?"

Hoshi thought for a moment, "It was with me, I had it in my pocket." Inari watched him pat himself down.

He paused, and re-patted himself, "The scroll...it's gone." He spoke, breathless. Inari let out a long sigh and closed her eyes, "Are you mad at me?" Hoshi asked, she shook her head, "Hoshi—shut your mouth." She replied, her palm in his face.

His mouth zipped shut and he crouched down to Inari's level, "Someone's coming." She said under her breath, she looked at him with a serious face. He nodded and reached into his ninja pocket, Inari's had touched the handle of her katana and they both waited.

Inari could sense whoever it was getting closer, before Hoshi could blink, Inari dove down and grabbed the persons legs and pinned them to the ground.

"Wait!" Hoshi reached his hand out then paused, Inari tilted her head, "Hayase." He rolled his eyes and pushed her off, "Hayase! Where have you been!" Hoshi rushed over to him and examined his face.

Hayase shoved him away and patted down the dirt from his already dirty clothes, "I went out to find some food, I didn't want to have you both bother me so I left on my own." He answered calmly, pointing at the bag of dead fish he brought.