Ch-3 The Code

Husna

At exactly 3:00, my alarm rang to wake me up for Tahajjud. I got up, made wudhu, put on my rose-pink prayer hijab, and prayed.

After Fajr we all went into the majlis area to read our Quran.

"Mom, where is Uthman? I haven' t seen him since he went out with Husna. He used to help me memorize the hard ayahs." Nuh questioned innocently.

"Well, he-" mom started, when Dhat interrupted her, "He's gone because Husna deserted him and left him to get arrested at the patroller's hands." Dhat spat.

"Dhat! How could you?" Mom scolded. "Well, it's the truth! Stop shielding her all the time!" Dhat yelled. She was telling the truth. It was my fault. I did desert him and run away, saving myself and leaving him in danger.

"No mom, Dhat's right, I did desert him and run away saving myself. It was very selfish of me to do it. I really feel guilty, and I deeply apologize."

Saying this, I got up and slowly went up to my room, with everyone watching me. As I lay down on my bed hot tears came gushing out. I felt guilty, but I knew I had to save Uthman, since my parents couldn't. So, I wiped my tears and braided my hair out of my face then called my best friend Sarah.

Sarah was an awesome hacker, so that's why I decided to ask her for help. She had many times infiltrated Linarian offices and found valuable information.

I asked her to come over to my house in a phone call without saying too much, as phone calls were taped by the government.

When Sarah came to our house, I quietly opened the door and led her to my room. "Why so secretive, huh? Did you kill a dead body and hide it somewhere?" she joked. "Nahh... if I did that, I would burn in Jahannam forever." I told her.

"So, what's up?" She asked as she peeled of her niqab, revealing her radiant glowing face.

"Uthman got arrested. And I need your help to find out how to rescue him without paying ransom." I told her.

"What?! You guys didn't do anything bad, right?" She asked.

"Of course not. He got arrested for saying the truth." I explained.

"Wait, do you mean the truth?" She asked, meaning the ruling system.

"No, it's another long story." I told her and explained everything to her.

"So unjust! Just because of that he got arrested?!" She shrieked.

"I will try my absolute best to help you!" she said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"They must have done something to the website, because today for some reason I can't see if they are going to give an execution order or not." Sarah told me with a sigh, as she tiredly slumped against the pillow.

"Why don't we take a break? Maybe that will refresh our minds." I told her.

"Yeah, great idea. I could definitely use a break!" she said as she took of her hijab.

I went downstairs to the kitchen and found mom there busy. "Did anyone come over?" she asked me.

"Yeah, Sarah came over." I told her. "Now I want to make a strawberry milkshake for her."

"Sure, the strawberries are on the counter."

"Mom, did the ransom order come yet?" I asked, as I washed the strawberries.