Chapter 12

Cinnia's POV
Sophie glanced at all of us. She seemed as unsure as I felt. Her plan had needed Alvar to be a lot more committed than he sounded.

As we climbed the next flight of stairs, she made a last-minute amendment. Originally she'd been thinking Alvar could share Keefe's role, but she didn't know him well enough to trust him with that responsibility. We made our way up two more levels, one busy with ogres, the other mostly empty, until we reached a staircase by a waterfall. "Next level's the Triad," Alvar whispered. "Last chance to see reason."
"We're doing this," Keefe said, his voice shaky. I took pity on the poor boy. "I'll go instead." I offered. "No!" Tam yelled. Sophie shook her head and Keefe's mouth hung open. "You can't." Tam said. "Why can't she?" Soohie asked. Tam hesitated. "I've got a parent in the Neverseen too." I said quietly. Ta offered me a soft smile, which I returned. Keefe shook his head. "It's fine. My story is ready anyway." He said. "Alright." I replied. Tam stood beside me. "Why did you want to go?" He asked quietly. "Keefe looked scared out of his mind." I told him. "I'm glad you're not doing it." Tam said with an adorable smile. I smiled back. "Me too." I admitted with a quiet laugh.
She turned back to us, and one by one we all signaled to show we were ready. Alvar sighed. "Let's hope nobody dies."

I ignored him as Linh blanketed us in so much mist it soaked our cloaks. Alvar took the lead, with Sophie right behind. The level had no railing. Just a sheer, deadly edge lined with cold metal pillars that supported the black metal awning overhead. The space was a triangle, and at the farthest point, a twisted tangle of metal formed a barbed throne, overlooking the entire kingdom. Perched proudly in the center, wearing nothing more than his metal diaper, was King Dimitar. A dozen ogre guards were lined up on either side of him, each one big enough to wrestle a bear one-handed. Resting at his feet was a small metal chest locked by a single round padlock, surely the cure, set out like bait. It wasn't too late to turn back. We might even make it out of Ravagog safely. But we needed that box-and more than that, we needed the truth. Sophie gave us the signal.

Tam and I called more shadows as Dex scooped up Calla and everyone except Keefe locked hands. We levitated to the top of the metal awning, hoping the roar of the waterfalls covered the soft thunk as we touched down. Keefe waited until we were all safely out of sight. Then he threw back his hood and stepped out of his shaded hiding spot, shouting, "I demand an audience with the king!"

He definitely performed very well, I'll give him that. He managed to hide his anger and look both terrified and innocent as King Dimitar's guards swarmed around him. "I'm unarmed," Keefe promised. "And I'm not here because of the Council. In fact, they banished me weeks ago."

"Bring him to me," King Dimitar ordered. His guards dragged Keefe forward, the largest one pinning Keefe's hands behind his back with a single meaty fist. King Dimitar scraped at his pointed teeth as he asked, "Do you know what happens to those who trespass in my city?" Keefe bowed his head. "Most trespassers mean you harm. I'm just here for answers."

"So you're not here for this?" King Dimitar scooted the locked chest forward with his clawed toes. "I don't know what's in there," Keefe said, "but it has nothing to do with me." King Dimitar nodded at his guard, who lifted Keefe by his neck. "If you'd like to continue breathing, you'll tell me how you succeeded in entering my city."

"Kind of hard to talk when you're choking me," Keefe wheezed. I realized I was shaking.

"Let him breathe."

The guard loosened his grip enough to let Keefe suck in a ragged breath.

King Dimitar repeated his question.

"Old gnomish or dwarven tunnel," Keefe rasped. "By the river. It collapsed as I crawled through."

I had known Keefe was a brilliant liar, but I'd never fully appreciated his talent. He'd blended just enough truth to sell his story, and misdirected the ogres far away from the real tunnel.