Chapter Seven

/shock/

/SHäk/

noun

shock plural noun: shocks

a sudden upsetting or surprising event or experience

//

Naruto wasn't sure what to expect when Toshiko walked up to him and Aiya, and while he knew she probably meant no harm he can't help the immediate tensing in his muscles.

"Aiya-chan, please go inside. Naruto-kun, you're with me." He blinked a few times in confusion, but acquiesced to the matron of the orphanage's demand, waving goodbye to Aiya before following after Toshiko.

Chiba Toshiko was a cold woman, but Naruto didn't resent the matron who presided over the orphanage he Aiya lived in (not home, it wasn't home). Toshiko may never have shown him any love like Aiya did, but she ran the orphanage strictly and that left no space for neglect or abuse– a fact which relieved him a lot, considering the... incidents that had happened before.

Following the woman through the streets of Konoha, Naruto couldn't help but be curious about where Toshiko was leading him. It was clear they were making their way to the village proper and Naruto stayed close by Toshiko's side; he felt almost as if he was walking unclothed without a scarf Aiya had bought him to hide his bright hair or dirt on his cheeks to hide the whisker marks.

He could feel the attention of the scant few villagers who were out and about in the turning towards him. Their harsh glares felt like the burning lashes of a whip against his skin and Naruto focused his eyes forward, ignoring the hiss of voices behind him and the bubbling hate in the swell of anger in their buzzing energy, even as it stabbed at his senses and the smell of fury burned his nose, like red-hot fire.

Toshiko led them to the merchant's district, one that Naruto had never been in. Most of the stores were closed but Toshiko had a specific destination in mind, making her way straight to a small store with a sign that read, 'Threads of Distinction'.

The store was filled with colourful fabrics draped over wooden stands and pinned to wickerwork dress-forms. The two women inside were busy at work; the younger woman was bent over a beautifully dyed silk with vibrant embroidery of golds, greens and blues, while the older woman was frowning over a thick pile of papers. They both looked up when Naruto and Toshiko walked in and while the younger woman immediately shied away, the scent of her fear flooding the small store, the older woman looked down at Naruto with a pinched face, her eyes sharp and searching.

The woman wasn't unpleasant to look at; she was thin, with steel-grey hair and sharp, pale grey eyes and a face lined by age. The younger woman looked alike enough to her that she had to be her daughter, though her skin was softer and her hair a gentle shade of green. Naruto couldn't feel any hate coming from the older woman, or any fear, but she didn't seem very welcoming either.

"So this is him," she said, her voice as sharp and cutting.

"This is him," Toshiko confirmed, pushing Naruto forwards, almost causing him to stumble.

"He doesn't look like much," was the woman's observation and Naruto smiled, bright and wide, sharp teeth tucked away, keeping himself sweet and soft.

Maybe he could make a new friend.

"I'm Uzumaki Naruto dattebayo," he grinned, blue eyes shining.

The woman raised an eyebrow. "Akiyama Misaki," she said, inclining her head. "And this is my daughter, Akiyama Nyoko."

Nyoko gave a jerky bow, still stinking of fear. Naruto smiled widely back at her, "Yer work's real pretty ya know!" He chirped and was satisfied when Nyoko smiled tentatively at the praise.