Chapter Thirty

My heart thuds against my chest and I swear my blood heats in my veins, thrumming against my skin as he runs his thumb over mine. My breath catches when his finger drifts over the inside of my wrist, and he leans into me, his grey eyes alarmed.

"Are you okay, Desideria?" His breath is warm on my ear, but that doesn't stop me from shivering.

There he goes with my full name, goddamnit. Not helping the situation. "Y-yeah, I'm fine," I whisper, turning my face toward his so our lips are only inches apart.

"Is this too much geek talk for you?"

"No. It's entertaining to watch how passionate you all are for your work. I'd go as far as saying, you almost show as much enthusiasm as I do for shopping."

He chuckles. "That's a big claim."

"I know," I say, fighting to keep a straight face.

We reach the restaurant and file inside. The host greets Matt by name and leads us through the dining room to a table in a quiet corner. Other than a few meticulously placed lights in the ceiling, the restaurant is illuminated by candlelight. Oil lamps hang from the walls, their light dancing across the crystals of the chandeliers. Our table is dressed in a black cloth with white napkins folded beside polished silverware.

Jace pulls out my chair and motions for me to sit. I brush my fingers over his as I lower myself and he scoots me to the table. The men take their places, and I read the menu. It takes every ounce of self-control to keep my eyes from bugging out of my head. The prices of the entrees are enough to stock Jace's kitchen for a week. And Hades knows how the man blows through a box of cereal.

Matt and Bryce are deciding what kind of wine to order for the table, and I take the opportunity to lean over to Jace and whisper, "Are you sure about this place? These prices...Everything you've done for this trip has been so extravagant. I can help pay if you need me to."

"This meal is on Matt. He insisted, so order what you like. And trust me when I tell you that he can afford it." His hand slides over the top of my leg and he squeezes my thigh.

I shift in my chair and spread my legs just enough to give him a little more access should he choose to take it. "All right then," I say, attempting to focus on the menu but instead only able to think of his fingers on my skin.

Jace behaves for the most part, his pinky toying with the hem of my dress. But the more I shift under his touch, the higher my skirt rides, and his fingers follow. He doesn't so much as bat an eye when the tip of his finger skims over my lace panties. The conversation he carries with Edmonds doesn't miss a beat, and neither does the steady back and forth of his finger. His touch is barely there, yet it is all I can focus on. Seconds, minutes, or maybe hours pass, all I know is our food arrives and Jace never moves his hand away.

"Desi?"

I nearly drop my fork when I realize Matt is saying my name, and I realize it probably isn't the first time. "Oh, sorry, I—I was just thinking about how good this risotto is," I lie, clenching my sex as Jace's touch grows bolder, his strokes firmer over the lace.

He laughs and takes a sip of wine. "Fair enough. I was just asking what it is you do. I don't think Jace ever told us."

"Oh, I'm sort of in between gigs right now. Just taking some time to figure out what I really want. I have a position in my father's company, but I wanted to take some time to explore my options first before I took it."

"Smart. You are young and have time to make up your mind. I'm sure Jace will eventually need someone to keep him organized with all the accounts sure to come. It could be beneficial to work together."